1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Martina takes another stand

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

LGBT group severs links with Navratilova over transgender comments Navratilova transgender comments spark row

Unless taking hormones reduces muscle mass, I’m with her on this.

If Anthony Davis starts to identify as a woman and starts the transformation process, I don’t think the WNBA would be a fair place for him to play basketball.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Billie Jean stood up for Caster Semenya yesterday, too.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

He still wouldn’t get his team out of the first round.

playthrough, Iron_chet and HanSenSE like this.
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This topic really is turning into a third rail in sports. All I really know is that I don't know what the appropriate rules should be.

The simple answer is that a person who is physically male should not be competing in women's athletics, but none of this is simple. To me, nothing should come before fairness in sports. Nothing is more important than a level playing field. But how do we level the playing field in these cases?

5. outofplace

I fully appreciate the joke you are going for there, but actually, she would and that is kind of the issue.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What a mess they have made of things.

Seems to me that what Martina is saying is totally consistent with Caster Semenya being left alone and allowed to compete.

They are trying to force Semenya to artificially change her natural make up in order to be allowed to compete. It's absurd, and backward beyond anything, in my opinion.

The fact that Martina is getting shouted down with "transphobic" labels, without anyone really doing a good job of addressing what she actually said, is telling to me. She's not hateful of transgender people. She isn't unaccepting of them. What she wrote in that Journal op ed was essentially that for the purposes of athletic competition, it matters if you were born with a penis. Allowing that person to compete as a woman, no matter what they do to artificially change their testosterone levels, makes a mess of gender-specific athletic competition. I think where she went wrong was by using the word "cheating." It created a visceral reaction.

I agree with her. Fine if someone wants to disagree and thinks we should totally change the parameters of those athletic competitions. But it does piss me off that she can't say something so straightforward without being labeled a bigot. The nastiness of the identity politics behind this is that she's a lesbian being skewered by LGBT organizations.

heyabbott likes this.
  7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

But what if that team was going against an opponent with Tracy McGrady?

8. outofplace

On that part, I agree with you. The use of the word cheating definitely set people off. I absolutely get why that word would offend someone who is transgender given the challenges they go through. If someone is really making that transition, they want to be treated as the gender they identify. It feels like a fair request to them, but sports makes that a very tricky issue.

That said, it is absolutely wrong and unfair for those people to label what Narvratilova said as transphobic.

heyabbott likes this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

LGBT yearly olympics

It might sound barbaric, but what you were born with is where you compete. If you want to switch genders, create a LGBT athletic organization.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

In its statement, Athlete Ally said Navratilova's comments were "transphobic, based on a false understanding of science and data, and perpetuate dangerous myths that lead to the ongoing targeting of trans people through discriminatory laws, hateful stereotypes and disproportionate violence".

I would like some deeper insight into the science and data Martina doesn't understand and the myths she's perpetuating.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think they have that on their save-get (old Atex term) every time they disagree with something someone says.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Unfair advantages are rampant. For example, the NBA is filled with genetic mutants who grow to freakish heights. There’s limited chance for potential players who happen to be in the “normal” range of stature to compete. Oh, there are always some exceptions of players on the shorter side of tall who succeed. But, to be fair, something should be done to counteract the over abundance of growth hormones and other genetic factors while future players are in their growth stages. My mom was always cautioning that coffee, smoking or unclean thoughts too early would “stunt my growth.” Perhaps those practices should be employed to remedy the excessively tall.

RickStain likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted