1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marshall plane crash, get over it

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 15, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, I don't disagree with that. And when I said he will have trouble for the remainder of his college career, it's just because I know the reactions, not that all the reactions are 100% right.

People get horrified when you cast a critical eye on their emotional ceremony.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Did someone make him attend the ceremony at the end of a bayonet? He's speaking as if attendance by students is compulsory. If that were the case, then I could process some of his reservations. But my university held loads of events -- games, classes, graduations -- that some people never saw fit to attend. Attending a non-compulsory event and then bitching about it just highlights your stupidity.

Go smoke a bowl, kid. College is short. The rest of life is long and usually has consequences.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, he's got the Mariotti bitch-pussy walkout routine down pat.

Sack up, asshole. You wanna write that stuff, own it. Take the heat.

Gonna run like a bitch? Well, then you're a ... you can probably figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

No, there are plenty that are student-run in their entirety. Some schools prefer the separation.

If you don't let the piece run, you get whacked for "prior restraint."

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I think that is a valid argument. However, I'm thinking maybe he just didn't understand the big deal about what happened 42 years ago and had no idea most (if not all) in the Marshall community would feel differently than him. If that's the case, I'll give him credit for having the juevos to take such a view.

6. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

We had an adviser and he was there to answer questions if you had them but had absolutely no say in what did or did not make it to print. He wasn't around during production and for that matter when much was being written (after traditional office hours if you will). If you came to him and said you have something that might be controversial or something along those lines he might help you weigh the pros and cons but he wouldn't/couldn't tell yo not to run it. But he did a daily critique and you might have got blasted the next day.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I had a chance to speak on the Marshall a couple of years ago and the university is more than just sports. There are constant reminders of the crash and its aftermath all over campus. I'm wondering why the column's author would have picked that particular school, knowing it's history and tradition of remembrance. I fear that he inappropriately wrote a shock column that had no redeeming value.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i'm guessing dude gets his ass handed to him.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

He's decently handsome, so I assume CNN.

[/crossthread & ducking]

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didnt wade through all the comments, but three stuck out

O Henry, o Henry, o Henry... I hope that you take criticism well as if this is any indication of how well you do your research and how you spew your public opinion without gathering facts, then, young man, you have a long road ahead of you in journalism. Did you even think to interview a single soul about their feelings on why they were there? Have you done any research at all on what happened? Even the Phoenix never forgets the fire that made him rise, ever. The tragedy changed the university, the town, and more importantly, the lives of countless thousands across the nation. What takes place every year is a memorial service, not a grief service. Obviously you have never lost anyone close to you, for if you did, you would understand.

"The old cliché goes, “Time heals all wounds.” Well, I say 42 years is healing enough."
    Dear Henry Culvyhouse: my family's wounds have not healed, but thanks for letting me know that they should have by now.

Kid, you just do not get it. The crash does not define Marshall. Marshall's response to the crash is what defines Marshall. You have missed the entire point. When we remember, we not only honor them, but we celebrate a an incredible community that serves as a living testimonial to all that is good about human resiliance and the healing power of love that makes us who we are. The crash happened seven years before I was born. However, my time at Marshall brought me close to many family members and friends who lost loved ones in the tragedy. The fact I am a son of Marshall makes all of them part of my family. The University ties us together. As a proud alum and father, my prayer is Marshall always remembers and that generations of future Marshall students continue to remember and take part in the annual memorial service, long after we are all gone. Marshall will be better for it.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Anyone who starts a column with a bunch of disclaimers knows he's stirring up trouble.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Or Wichita State.

Draft saved Draft deleted