1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Married names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Overrated, Aug 9, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I don't think he should bring it up to her, but if she says something he should definitely refer her to the SE. The SE should be ready to deal with her since he forced the decision on PO.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've had that same discussion in the past with an overzealous editor who wanted to change the "&" in the name of a company to "and."

I told him we don't change a company's name just because we don't like it. That's their official fucking name, for crying out loud. He persisted, though, because he was "right." Asshat.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned, the person you're talking about owns the name, not anyone else.

If you call her, say, Traci Morgan-Cummings instead of Traci Cummings because she was a star as Traci Morgan, you're inaccurately reporting a source's name. Look at it that way.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

Why bother to get spellings right, if names are so fungable? Next time you spell Tracy and Tracie and someone calls about it, just say you liked the way you spelled it better.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I would love to tell the parents who named their kid "Kolbee" (a real name of a kid in my area) that the reason I keep putting "Colby" is because they spelled their kid's name wrong. :D

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Does your editor write a column? If so, hyphenate his name -- nothing offensive, just something basic like with Smith -- and see how he likes it.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Are you talking about this guy?

[​IMG]

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Did your paper use Mark Super Duper, too? The Miami Dolphins wideout had his name changed early in his career.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I had an editor who insisted on putting the Eldrick in front of 'Tiger' (in quotes) until he deemed it safe that the world would know who I meant.

But still not as dumb as hyphenating a name.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

How do we feel about adidas/Adidas? I always argued that even though the company name is all lower case, it is a proper name and should be capitalized. Others disagreed with me.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Brand name. lowercase it. You don't do Ipod, do you? It's iPod.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That does make sense. But then do you make a distinction between the brand and the actual legal entity (adidas Corporation or whatever)?

Draft saved Draft deleted