1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Married names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Overrated, Aug 9, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

For older members: Did your paper use Marvelous Marvin Hagler, or just Marvin Hagler? He was legally Marvelous

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This is what I was going to suggest; just have her call him and say, "look, my name is Julie Frankenstein, not Julie Dracula-Frankenstein".

Oh, and PO, you really should take some steps on this thread to protect yourself.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

The SE needs "Douchebag- " hyphenated into his name for this one.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I greatly appreciate everyone's concern for my well-being, but I've said nothing on here I haven't said to his face.

I would like to tell her to call him, but I'm not gonna go behind his back...as much as I disagree with him, I'm still going to put up a united front. If she calls me, I'll refer her to him so he can explain.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

If your editor were a woman he'd be more sensitive to this. A great deal of thought goes into married names or maiden names, hyphens or no. If she cared enough to change her credit cards and SSN, your little Napoleon should respect that.

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fixed.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm with you. The boss is wrong, and it shouldn't even be debatable.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know why there's no such proof? Because changing a name to make it different than what somebody uses is so stupid, AP thinks it's self-evident and doesn't bother.

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I like you guys. :)

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This argument really can be made in reference to any proper name. A former editor and I had a disagreement about how we should use the name of a local park that had a number in its name. The number was in the teens and was spelled out, but my editor wanted to use the numerals. I argued that since it was a proper name, it should be used the way it was on the signs for the park, and that we didn't have the right to change it.

11. lono

lono Active Member

Ask your editor what other incorrect information he knowingly puts in the paper every day.

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I say throw him under the bus. It's not your fault and don't take the heat for it. Some people need humbled and it would be pretty enjoyable to put your ear on the wall and hear your SE apologize meekly when coach calls wondering why he changed her name.

This may be where it's good to be a one-man department. It's on me, I know it's on me and I also know I'm not perfect and, thus, not afraid to look things up.

As for me, I do the Ann (Smith) Johnson thing a couple of times and that's it.

Draft saved Draft deleted