1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Married names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Overrated, Aug 9, 2008.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

WFW

2. lono

lono Active Member

Your ideas intrigue me. I want to subscribe to your newsletter.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

You just want me to talk dirty French to you. And Dooley's in line ahead of you. [/crossthread]

4. lono

lono Active Member

And your point would be?

5. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

His reasoning is because that's how she's better known?

Where does that end? The Girl With A Huge Rack, West's volleyball coach, said her team tried really fucking hard....

The Fat Tub Of Lard, the football coach at Bumfuck High, won his 14th straight game.

Seems really illogical.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It's not in the AP stylebook, I reckon, because whoever wrote the AP stylebook never dreamed someone would be so fucking stupid as to want to hyphenate a woman's last name who apparently doesn't want it hyphenated.

You win this argument. Hands down.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Patience, my friend.

8. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

This appeared in hundreds of AP stories:
    the FCS, formerly Division I-AA, ...

So this would be proper AP style:
    Besty Sue Johnson, formerly Division I-AA, ...

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

PO, just make certain your SE doesn't read this board. I know where you're coming from - and I'll echo my agreement with your side of the coin - but SEs, particularly incompetent ones, can be vicious in protecting their fiefdoms.

Lots of us know this from experience.

10. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://fredericksburg.com/FreeLanceStarCompany/Newsrooms/newsroom/APStyle/APtxt/Nnn.htm#names
    names In general, people are entitled to be known however they want to be known, as long as their identities are clear.

When an individual elects to change the name by which he has been known, such as Cassius Clay’s transition to Muhammad Ali, provide both names in stories until the new name is known by the public. After that, use only the new name unless there is a specific reason for including the earlier identification.

See the junior, senior entry and the entries under middle initials; nicknames; and sex changes.

http://www.apstylebook.com/ask_editor.php
    In positioning a nickname surrounded by quotation marks inside a full-name reference, is there any difference in placement when the subject is a married woman and the full-name reference includes both her maiden name and married name? For instance, is it Thelma Ryan "Pat" Nixon or Thelma "Pat" Ryan Nixon, the rationale for the latter presumably being that she was "Pat" Ryan before she was " – from Mobile, AL on Fri, Jul 06, 2007
    AP defers to the individual's preference. In this example, bios place "Pat" variously in her full name. White House bio lists it two ways: "Patricia Ryan Nixon" in headline, with this explanation: Born Thelma Catherine Ryan on March 16 in Ely, Nevada, "Pat" Nixon acquired her nickname within hours ...

How would I print someone's first name, maiden name, previous married name and current married/last name? For example: Jane (Doe) (Jones) Smith? – from La Crosse, WIsconsin on Fri, Jul 13, 2007
    We'd use the individual's name preference on first reference and without parentheses.

When writing obituaries, we say a person is "the son of John and Mary Smith," or "the son of the late John and Mary Smith." Many times funeral homes give us the mother's maiden name, so we write it as "son of John Smith and Mary Jones Smith" to show, a) the couple was married and, b) to indicate the mother's maiden name (this is very good information for future genealogists!). Sometimes, if the parents were not married, we write "son of John Smith and Mary Jones." Also, some funeral homes give us the mother's maiden name in parentheses, which we often omit. Is there a proper sty – from Dover, Delaware on Mon, Jul 16, 2007
    AP obituaries might include parents' full names, without parentheses, if the family is particularly prominent in a wide area, say, nationally. Your style looks fine for local interests, though.

11. *starts slow clap*

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

P_O, you should tell the coach personally about it (no emails) and let her contact your editor to complain.

What a fucking douchebag.

Draft saved Draft deleted