1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Married names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Overrated, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn.

I wish I would have seen it.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You want an AP reference? Google "Kate Sobrero" and then "Kate Markgraf" and look for AP stories from before and after her marriage.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It can't be hyphenated at all if it's NOT HER NAME. Her choice, not your editor's.

It's like deciding you don't like the spelling of someone's name so you change it to something recognizeable. 'What kind of name is LinZee, we're going with Lindsay, the right way!'

Dumb. You don't fuck with names.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Couldn't agree more, 21.

It ran with the hyphen. I've washed my hands of it.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Add another one.

I took Mr. Tart's last name, for multiple reasons. But I became waterytart, not Mrs. Arthur Tart. Which is why stylebooks don't work for this question -- you have to go with the woman's preference.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I was just asking about a style to refer to maiden names...I thought maybe the last name in parentheses might be a better option (not necessarily perfect) than a horribly incorrect hyphen, since he refused to use the "so-and-so, formerly so-and-so" option.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This is the PERFECT example to bring up to your editor, PO. This is exactly what he's doing -- no worse than changing the spelling just because you don't like it.

Not his name, not his call.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

If only, Buck. If only.

I seriously argued every point I could think of. I didn't give up until the last minute. Like I said, it got pretty ugly and I didn't leave on good terms. I'm still pissed, but I'll be able to sleep.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, now I can't sleep. Give me his number.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Oh, I'd love to, 21...but then you'd know where I work...and then you'd have to die.

I really wish I would've posted this thread under my real name, so I could point him here...too late...still hope he reads it, though. I'll be able to move to that island sooner, rather than later...no matter how stupid Cowbell thinks it sounds.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

We've always used Samantha (Williams) Thompson.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

What Cadet and 21 said.

This is not an AP style situation, this is a common sense situation.

You identify a person by the name he or she goes by. End of discussion.

Now, if it's a local who has moved back to coach, there's always a possible story there.

But if she goes by her married name, then it's her married name that gets published.

And if it went to print hyphenated, I hope she calls and rips him a new one.

Draft saved Draft deleted