1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Married folks, how'd you trim down your wedding's guest list?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 28, 2010.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you're living in NYC, good luck getting married there for less than $150 a head.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Okay, maybe per head, but what if they bring the entire body? You have to feed it, hire a band so it can dance....you can't just invite the heads, no one will come.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We'll I think it's silly to incur a $50,000 bill to get married, but let's put that aside, because it doesn't change the point.
    If you're spending $50,000 on the wedding, does the extra $1,000 to invite the four people really matter?

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

50 grand on a wedding? that's absurd for anyone not making seven figures in salary.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

To each their own, of course, but if you went to their wedding, I'd say a reciprocal invite is automatic. If it was years ago and you've lost touch since, no matter. If you've got enough room for plenty of friends, try to make room for those who invited you before.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

So how close to this are you getting?

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, I guess if you planned to spend $50k, another grand won't hurt. If you planned to spend $30k and you're at $50k, I would forget the 4 people and few others as well.

I think I would have to ask myself, 'Will I want to see this person in my wedding pictures in 30 years?'

(And please note, that question can also apply to the future spouse, if the answer is no you can save the $50k right now.)

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Screw "being consistent." If you don't want to invite the other four, just invite the one you want to invite.

I agree with the sentiments of not inviting people you're not in touch with even if you used to be close with them. The key words in that sentence are "used to be." You're not close with them now. Don't invite them if you must cut.

You're not under any obligation to invite people to your wedding except the people YOU want to be there.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

not to threadjack, but i'm curious, on the same subject: mrs. shockey and i were married almost 22 years ago. had about 150 people, at a cost to us of about 15 grand, as i recall. both sets of parents were alive but we paid for it.

anyway, my question is: do most of us have big weddings -- more than 100 people, at least 50 bucks a head, full bar, music, etc. -- because we wanted to have one or because our families expected us to? ??? ??? ???

i truly don't remember. it was just something we never questioned. boy meets girl. boy loves girl. boy asks girl to marry. bingo! a wedding.

kinda went without saying....

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

You serving squirrel and Old Milwaukee?

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Doing my wedding/reception this spring. Going with a destination wedding, just my family and her family.
    Of course, since I'm a sports writer the wedding week is during that magical "quiet week" between the end of winter sports season and the start of spring sports.
    We're doing a reception in late April with 200 people.
    Cuts have been tough for us since I have a huge family and she does not.
    We decided to make cuts starting with small children and high school aged-kids who could care less, but could be available for babysitting purposes.
    We're still doing the budget, but looks like we'll be around $70 a head, plus free beer and wine. (The special 201st guest will be my uncle Jack Daniels who will be seated in my flask pocket).
    I would advise all those considering getting married to go the destination route. It's surprisingly much cheaper than an actual wedding and allowed us to spend a little more on the reception.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

if it's for family OK, but if you do a destination wedding don't be offended when people can't make it.

Draft saved Draft deleted