1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marriage and Hiring,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I now label things as "peculiar."

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

As in actually ironic or as "Rain on your wedding day" ironic?

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think I read this in the quotes at the bottom of someone's SportsJournalists.com post, but one of my favorites has always been Andrew Jackson's picture on a federal bank note.

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

"Lines From Alanis Morissette's "Ironic," Modified to Actually Make them Ironic"

http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1711139

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

So, does someone here (not mentioning any names) still not know the difference between irony and coincidence?

I have a feeling we have been called out, we of the dying industry. Pourquoi?

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Irony is not rain on your wedding day. That's an unfortunate coincidence.

Moving your wedding from Seattle to Phoenix to avoid the possibility of rain on your wedding day only to have it rain in Phoenix that day is irony.

7. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I feel like I should state, in my defense, that I understand the concept. I just have hard time giving someone a good example.

Also, I make pretty pictures. This has nothing to do with irony, but is my general defense for all of my shortcomings. :)

8. John

John Well-Known Member

When I think of irony the image that always comes to mind is a tow truck getting towed by a regular car.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If an insurance company can decide "you're a good risk!" or "you're unsafe!" solely because of your marital status, I guess a boss can make assumptions, too.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I always played up being a father in interviews in recent years, so that I can connect with our audience (TV) better than, say, a younger anchor who may have a life that revolves around his Droid and flying to Vegas every two weeks.

If I sensed a positive response from the interviewer, I took that as a good sign.

Also, there are some 'code' words and phrases you can sprinkle throughout an interview that, essentially, mean: 1) I'd like to move here for the long term and set down roots and 2) I may be a little more expensive but I am far less likely to wrap my car around a telephone poll at 3 AM with a .231 BAC than that younger guy you are also interviewing.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Irony is posting that something is ironic on a journalism board in hope that someone might think, "Oh, how witty," but instead getting blasted because the word is misused.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

I liked this post. Makes a lot of sense. I've been dating the same girl for four years and I know she is the one; I just have no money to "seal the deal." Finding a stable job with someone in your life you can't live without just sucks twice as much... actually makes me want to pursue a "normal" career.

Draft saved Draft deleted