1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marriage and Hiring,

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I got my first break in this business because of this issue.

One writer was begging off the baseball beat because his wife couldn't handle him traveling so much and another was having similar issues.

It was offered to one of the college writers, who refused it because of the travel.

Then my boss called me into his office.

"Can you be in (spring training city) in 10 days?"

"Sure."

"Good, you're our new baseball writer." (I was actually the backup.)

I covered the second half of the Atlanta Olympics because another writer refused to be gone that long.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Exactly what I'm talking about.

Being married to your job isn't healthy for anybody but your boss.

3. ericwbolin

ericwbolin New Member

Uh. Yeah. It is. You're aware the definition of "ironic" isn't any of the examples used in that popular 90s tune, yes?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A time is a when, not a where.

And it's not ironic.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Now *that* post is ironic.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Uh. No. It is not. The most misused word there is. The above example is coincidental.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The job I've had now for about 14 years, during the interview I volunteered information about my family. I didn't know if I really should have done that, but I figured being honest was the best approach.
    One thing that sticks out is the EE and ME asked me if I watched a lot of sports on TV.
    I said, "Some, but not as much as I used to. Since I have a 5-year-old, I'm more familiar with Barney and the Sesame Street gang than I am with the middle relievers on the Oakland A's." I appreciated it when they both laughed.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A company should not, and quite often is prohibited from, incorporating marital status in hiring (etc.) decisions.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The person I interviewed with for my current job is a grandmother, and I pimped out my kid so hard. I had her looking at baby pictures of him on facebook.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with you volunteering the information. Interviewers are supposed to refrain from asking.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

As has been pointed out by others, your example is nothing more than a coincidence. It's not irony. English, it's your language, learn it.

12. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

This is a total thread-jack, but can we get some good examples of irony? I don't know that I could come up with a good one.

Draft saved Draft deleted