1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marley & Me -- SPOILER INCLUDED

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Dec 25, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Poor kid, although anyone who gets that distraught over the death of a dog is good in my book.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Our whole family gets upset over the deaths of dogs.

I'm sure he'll be fine, but he may not have gotten so upset if his mom could have given him the whole "sometimes bad things happen and pets die, etc." speech beforehand.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I remember watching Tom Hanks on a talk show scream that "you never kill the dog" after he filmed Turner and Hooch and realized the mistake they had all made.

Roy Hobbs strikes out at the end book for what it's worth.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I hadn't read the book and was not prepared for how it was going to end. I was sobbing, and that was with me holding back with every ounce of energy I had in me. I had to hold my breath to keep from very audibly sobbing. I could hear sniffles all around me, so I know I was not alone. I don't regret seeing it at all, nor do I regret taking my ten year old nephew to see it. It was such a good movie and I plan to add it to the DVD collection.

I'm still sad about it right now, as I'm sitting here looking at Daisy. She's playing with her new squeaky toy like it's the best thing in the whole world. She's going a little nuts with it, full of that puppy energy. I can't imagine what it will feel like when the day comes that she or Travis have to make that final trip to the vet. Travis already has seven years on Daisy, but is thankfully a very healthy dog.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Nice take.

6. KG

KG Active Member

That little turd has already torn up that new squeaky toy. So adorable. It was fun while it lasted, for both Daisy and those of us watching her play with it. She was squeaking it so fast. What do the do, anyway? Make those things for dogs without teeth?

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I was raised by yellow labs. I read the book about a year and a half ago, and I'll admit I didn't make it through the preface or forward or whatever they called it with out breaking down. I had to phone my dad and ask him what the hell he gave me to read. Great book. I don't normally get emotional over a book or movie but this one hit close to home. Won't go to the movie with out kleenex in hand. Hell the first time I saw a trailer for it about six or eight months ago it was just Marley as a puppy running along the beach for a few seconds and imediately my heart jumped in my throat, knowing what it was.

As far as the complaints about the newsroom and them editing hardcopy as opposed to on computers, If I remember correctly the story takes place in the 80s, or did they jump it up to the present with a newsroom full of new macs, etc?

Again haven't seen the movie yet, will likely tomorrow.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Totally different side note, but I had a British guy working for me a few years back, and he was batshit crazy over all animals. Nothing wrong with that.

Well a few of us encouraged him to read Where the Red Fern Grows. For about a week he raved about the book and how great it was.

Then we all knew the night he got to the certain point of the book that rips you apart. He walked into work the next day and could barely raise his head. We all talked him into finishing the book, and he did feel much better.

I do agree that in two hours you do not need to go through the life cycle of a dog. Do that in a book. Do it slowly. Prepare your kids for the moment.

There was not enough material for a second movie?

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I will not see this movie (or read the book) because, frankly, I don't think I could handle the end. I still don't understand how I got through work that night after we sent Mrs. T's 20-year-old feline from the vet's table to the great beyond.
    My golden retriever may well live to be 13 like Marley (little arthritic in his right front leg, though otherwise in decent health), but I just know I'll be a mess the day we have to make that final call (and when I get home and our three cats give me that look demanding to know what I've done with their big brother).

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On a side note, I noticed Dave Barry in a scene where there is a surprise party for the writer/Wilson. I wonder if Michelle K. was an extra as well?

So you won't go or bring your kids? Do they think dogs live forever. Go and bring a tissue, you wusses.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sat next to a colleague on a flight where he was reading the end of the book. He tried really hard not to, but he was sobbing at the end.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I cry at Harry Potter movies so that wasn't going to stop me from going.

I thought the movie was fine, although a lot of angst over being a columnist or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted