1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marley & Me -- SPOILER INCLUDED

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OnTheRiver, Dec 25, 2008.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Friend with kids -- they're ages 4 and 6 -- told me today she wants to take them to see "Marley & Me" this weekend.

I pulled her aside and said, "Look ... the dog dies. I wouldn't normally tell you, but the kids..."

She changed her mind on the spot.

They're pimping this movie pretty hard as a joyous lovefest, and 95 percent of it's going to be. But jeez... the goddamn dog dies. The book made me tear up, and I'm a 30-something man.

Isn't this going to scar some young'uns?

2. jps

jps Active Member

didn't realize. yeah .... kinda not sure how I'm feelin about that. not one I want to take my kiddo to now, though, for sure.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I thought the trailers were a tad disingenuous myself.

4. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

My five year old granddaughter wanted to see it (We have a dog we named Marley). I read the book and I assumed that's why it's a PG movie. We will not be going to see it.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Mrs. Editude and an Editude daughter saw it today while I was working, and ... no surprises. Mrs. said she found it subdued, actually.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Take the kids. If my generation can survive being forced to read Old Yeller in second grade, they can survive Marley.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Exactly. Dogs die.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

MS. Slappy wants to see it, but won;'t because the dog dies...

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The book tugs at your heart strings. How loyal are they to it?

No kids, but I do want to see it. I am a dog lover and liked the book a lot.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What's tougher to explain, that the dog dies or that the guy playing the lead tried to slit his wrists?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Also, since it's Hollywood, in the movie version maybe Marley discovers a dog food that makes her live forever.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The billboard ads feature the sweet little puppy with a bow on his collar, looking up with (yes) puppy-dog eyes.

I would guess a lot of parents who take young kids will be PISSED.

Draft saved Draft deleted