1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Market research phone call

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Just got a market research phone call at Casa de BBAM.
    Guy asks for a registered male voter in the household. Speaking.
    Guy asks, "You're registered to vote at the address of this household." Yep.
    Guy asks, "In recent Podunk city elections, have you voted always, most the time, sometimes, rarely, or never." Most the time.
    Guy asks, "And just to make sure we're getting a representative sample, what year were you born?" 81.
    Guy says, "OK, we already have a representative sample from that age group." Click.

Uh ... why would you ask any question about voting habits before essentially asking my age?
    That research is a joke.
  2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

They were probably doing research of a political issue (for example, assessing public interest in a building development) and only wanted to speak to registered voters.

Them asking your age first and then tossing you out of the sample means they were most likely doing what is called cluster sampling (different than a simple random sample) in which the clusters broke into age groups, and they already had plenty of respondents your age.

A cluster sample is much cheaper to obtain than a random sample. True random samples are much harder to come by than you would think. And yes, the research could have been a joke. Many are and it's hard to do one right.
  3. This is why I don't answer the phone.
  4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This is why I love Caller ID. If it comes up as "Unknown Number" or "Private" I don't answer the phone because 99.999% of the time that call will be a telemarketer for a charity.

I remember last election with those surveys, ask if I'm the registered voter.... yes. Ask if I work for a newspaper, television station or radio station. yes. Sorry we can't use you in this survey. Click.
Draft saved Draft deleted