1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Zuckerberg and the case for a wealth tax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 10, 2012.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

There's a case to be made that homeless guys drinking Mad Dog on the street corner spend their money better than the federal government.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I do believe it would take an amendment to the Constitution.

Article 1, Section 9: "No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or Enumeration herein before directed to be taken."

That clause required Congress to levy taxes based on state's populations, not on the basis of individual income or any other standard.

The 16th Amendment, passed in 1913, struck the reference to to other direct taxes, making it possible to create the modern personal income tax system. But it was very specific: "The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."

So basically, they amended the Constitution in 1913, to give Congress the right to tax money when it changes hands (an income tax), but a wealth tax of some sort would require another amendment.

And as much as people on here want to smoke the pipe, that ain't happening in America.

3. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

A better question instead of a wealth tax, which will affect everyone down the line from the middle-class salaryman working for the rich guy's Fortune 500 corporation, the yacht builders to the money manager to the pool skimmer to the assembly-line grunt at the Cadillac plant to the guy detailing the cars is why the hell do we need the Federal government spending $3.8 TRILLION dollars.

Let's put that in terms we can understand.

If you had a stack of $1,000 bills (which don't exist), a trillion dollars worth would reach 67.9 MILES high. Obama's budget? 258.02 miles high.

There is no godforsaken reason our government needs to spend that much money. None. There is no reason the government should gobble up so much of the GDP like the blob. The safety net needs to be just that, not a permanent hammock that has incentivized a permanent and ever-envious underclass. We don't need troops in Europe. We don't need subsidies on green energy, crops and just about everything else under the sun the Government wants to influence. Obamacare is going to be the fiscal dagger in our nation's heart with deficits as far as the eye can see. The fact the administration has tried to use every accounting gimmick in the book and some I've never seen before to claim it's "deficit neutral" is one of the greatest lies ever told. I think it's ridiculous that Bill Gates and Warren Buffett will collect social security. Means test that pathetic ponzi-like scheme. The reason I say that it's not a ponzi scheme is that a ponzi scheme is voluntarily. This one is mandatory and the money is stolen from your check before you can even protest. Speaking of that, tax withholding from your check is a clever scheme that has remained in effect to camouflage these bastards are stealing from you. In World War II, maybe that was necessary. But now? Not so much.

I'm tired of this ridiculous Keynesian theory that government stealing from productive members of society and distributing it to various interest groups will "stimulate" the economy. Shovel-ready? Yeah, as in get ready to shovel the excrement coming from the mouths of the ruling class.

I wish we could hit a giant Apple-Z and undo all of these layers of bureaucracy piled upon layers of bureaucracy that absorbs all of our nation's wealth like a filthy corpse sponge. I wish we could live within our means and have a limited government that isn't telling us how much water my toilet can use, the kind of lightbulbs I can use or what kind of gas mileage my car can get. I'm sick and tired of the only cuts that the Left want are in defense, which is admittedly a cesspool of waste and misplaced priorities.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, just let the rich folks sort it out. They have your best interests at heart.

Burn all the oil you want. Use all the water you want. Emit all the carbons you want. There can never be any consequences, because Americans don't have to bear consequences, dammit.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Love it or leave it.

6. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

How would you know what a persons overall wealth is to start? What about assets that aren't publicly traded? How do you know how much gold someone has in a vault? What about assets that are held overseas? What about assets held by shell companies? Totally unworkable, however if by some miracle it could be done, it would result in a catastrophic flight of capital from the US.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The TSA already jiggles my nuts with a smile every time I go through airport security, so how hard could it be for the gov to set up a WSA (Wealth-Stealin'Adminustrashun) that would rifle through our attics, drawers, mattresses, couches and other well-known hidin'-places?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Entitlements!

Draft saved Draft deleted