1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Winegardner on the Alabama teabagger and LSU victim in ESPN the Mag

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Nov 15, 2012.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Far better than the long-form writing ESPN usually has when it comes to topics football comma southern.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

1. No good comes from drinking.

2. Some LSU fans can't be that horrified. Look, they made T-shirts!

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And even Miles poked fun at an early part of the incident during the rematch (as evidenced by your sidesaddle gif).

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thank goodness he only used his finger.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Reading this story makes me so happy cell phones with video weren't around in my college days. I've done a few things that could have gone "viral." That being said, it was a good story, and nice to see both kids are pretty level headed. Didn't really get why the writer kept referring to "You, the reader."

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It was a drunken crime. Not harmless. Not a prank. He got off easy with only 10 months. Again, you need to picture your wife, girlfriend or daughter being treated this way. The law doesn't specify gender. Sexual assault is sexual assault.

Can't believe some of you people are still trying to pooh-pooh this.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Maybe much worse goes on. Maybe some of it goes unpunished. That doesn't mean you don't prosecute crimes where you do catch the guy.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

If the perp did it to a LSU female fan, you would say it wasn't steep enough, right?

9. But if it was a female fan, it WOULD be different.

It's like saying the kid streaking on campus is the same thing as the creepy dude who is jacking off in the car in front of co-eds.

Or charging somebody mooning somebody with indecent exposure.

Technically, it's the same thing. But one falls in the category of prank, the other a sex crime.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to get "sackful" into a subhed. Props on that alone ...

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I subscribe to the magazine and many times because of clutter have bypassed in mag only to be alerted to it by SJ.

It takes a lot of work not to miss all the good stories that ESPN offers.

Teabagger story was a good one. More engaging than I thought it would be when I started out. Downing did not come across as remorseful. Stamps seemed like a good kid. Came away glad that Downing is going to boot camp for 10 months. Serves him right.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well-written piece. It boggles my mind that people would actuallY DO stuff like that in public.

I suppose the sentence is fair. You shouldn't be able to humiliate someone like that and walk away under the excuse "I was drunk". As someone said earlier, nothing good comes from drunkenness. On the other side, we've all had moments we'd like to take back, so hopefully the guy can rebuild his life.

The whole case underscores what a mess these camera phones and the internet have caused. If this happens 20 years ago, it's a minor case that most of us never hear about.

Draft saved Draft deleted