1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Winegardner on the Alabama teabagger and LSU victim in ESPN the Mag

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Definitely worth your time.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/LSU-Bama-Fans/last-time-met

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It really is a great story. Mark approaches the story seriously but puts just enough of a, "Hmmmmmm, I'm writing about teabagging" on it. There is plenty of there there, and Mark finds it.

I especially liked this line: "Downing falls nuts first onto Stamp's face." Who doesn't wish they had a chance to seriously write a line like that?

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's a good story, and I'm trying to read it, but ... do we really need arrows pointing to cutlines above photos? This reminds me, to a lesser degree, of the kind of design overkill that made it all but impossible for me to enjoy ------> ESPN the Magazine.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I tried to read it, but it won't load properly on my computer.

They need to relax with the web design over there at ESPN.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

It's good to have these stories posted, because for whatever reason it's quite difficult to find ESPN the magazine on the newsstand.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I get it along with my ESPN Insider subscription. I rarely crack it open, unless I have nothing else to read on the can.

7. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Thanks for posting, DD — was about to myself. Thought this story was really well done.

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Read this one this morning. A great story. I do feel like the punishment the perp got was a bit steep. I'm sure much worse happens every day on Bourbon Street and goes unpunished.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

It often has stories that are worth reading. But its newsstand availability is iffy, at best. Insider isn't anything I'm interested in, so paying for the package isn't worth it to me.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Take a look at it when you get home.

It looks great, but has an "adult" disclaimer on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No kidding. 10 months in a bootcamp jail for a harmless drunken prank? Committed in the middle of civic-sanctioned drunken chaos? Bullshit.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Pretty good story. Never knew until I read that story that I actually know his birth mother. Crazy, small world we live in.

Draft saved Draft deleted