1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Whicker, what were you thinking?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Bears00

Bears00 Member

At some point most people would've realized, "Is what I'm writing really relevant? Does this really belong in a sports column?"

That is putrid.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Column was posted online Monday, ran in Tuesday's paper.
    Monday being a holiday, I bet no editors even saw it and a skeleton of a desk crew probably just tried to get the paper out on time.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Heads may roll on this one?

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Letting this one go by without either spiking it or calling higher authority is like the crew at Chernobyl going out for a seven-vodka lunch.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I agree. But will heads roll in your opinion?

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

hilariously awful. and some of the stuff he included wasn't even news.

•You missed absolutely no Servite victories over Mater Dei in football.

ah, good to know.

•Jackie Autry isn't in charge of the Angels anymore, as you might have surmised by looking at the standings.

"I did surmise that," she must have thought, in between memories of being raped by a strange man.

7. VJ

VJ Member

It sounds harsh to say given the times we're in, but the columnist, night desk editor and possibly sports editor all need to be either suspended, demoted or fired over this.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Of the three, I'd say the night desk editor might get the proverbial dookie stick on this one.

9. VJ

VJ Member

Pretty much anyone who saw the column and didn't think to spike it needs to get out of journalism ASAP.

Of course the columnist himself deserves a worse punishment than anyone else, since he got them all into this mess thanks to his written diarrhea.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The sports editor is the person responsible for the section. If he doesn't have desk people who know to call him/her when there's an obvious and important question, then he/she is a poor manager and judge of talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted