1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Whicker, what were you thinking?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 9, 2009.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

In the immortal words of Charles Barkley, "This idea is terrible, terrible, terrible."

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That's just horrible. Wasn't there anyone on the desk who could speak up about this?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That site's comment guidelines:

Reader Comments
    Comments are encouraged, but you must follow our User Agreement.
    1. Keep it civil and stay on topic.
    2. No profanity, vulgarity, racial slurs or personal attacks.
    3. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Fitting that a blog that uses a derogatory name for an ambulance-chasing lawyer is first on the scene at this accident:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/shysterball/article/maybe-the-worst-sports-column-ever/

5. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

The ad on the right side that features a model with her boobs hanging out and the title "Illegal touching allowed," completes the total meltdown.

6. In general I like Mark's work a lot, but I gotta say, Mark, what were you thinking?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm among the many here who think Whicker's generally one of the most talented columnists in the country. I guess it shows anyone can fuck up. That was awful.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just curious. Would an apology soothe many posters here. I know one is needed, but would you take it sincerely?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Usually columns like that see the light of day because the managers don't have the stones to call a columnist and tell them that a column is too inappropriate to run.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I would... Whicker is an extremely well-respected columnist. This isn't a Mark Madden column or someone who frequently goes for shock value, which is why I think some of us are so stunned by it.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Good Lord. "Juuuuuuuuust a bit outside."

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I could have read that column without first reading the comments on this thread and probably not given it a second thought. Yes, I suppose the subject matter is sensitive, but I never got the sense that he was making fun of her or making light of her situation. I bet if she read it, she would appreciate it.

Draft saved Draft deleted