1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Teixeira

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 17, 2008.

?

What team do you think Mark Teixeira ends up signing with?

1. Red Sox

21 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. Angels

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Orioles

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Nationals

13 vote(s)
    20.3%
  5. Yankees

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Remember that the Angels can turn to Manny if they don't get Tex. Moreno would outspend McCourt in that case.

Stakes are higher for the Sox, but honestly, I don't mind the lineup they have now. I really think Bay can be a 40-homer guy, given the right protection. Ortiz and Lowell do concern me with their injuries, but it could be far worse....younger guys like Pedroia and Youk will improve incrementally, barring injury, this season.

Nats remain the favorite on the outside, exactly for the reasons hockeybeat mentioned, and I'd argue that they need the draw more than the Orioles.

This also is correct. People also said this about Manny ... in 2000.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But who wants to win more?

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's what happens with FAs. Way of the world.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'd say Tex, in a heartbeat, which is why he'd be a better fit for the Angels than Manny.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Sure, but doesn't there come a point where the $20 million a year you're going to spend on one guy would be better served, especially for the Nats and O's, on player development, or getting three, four or even five guys for the same money to fill holes that need filling on the roster?

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

They're both represented by Scott Boras, so they're both more interested in getting paid.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Of course.

All things equal once they're signed, I'm putting my chips with Teixeira, and it's not just because of age. Odds are he won't come up with phony knee injuries.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I meant the Nationals or Orioles. But I've got a feeling a Teixeira signing wouldn't necessarily be about winning, which is sad -- especially for Baltimore. That city, and that franchise, needs a winning baseball team. It's been starved for far too long.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I hope the Blowrioles lose forever. Or at least until Peter Angelos sells the team and someone who's actually a decent human being buys the team. Fuckabuncha Blowrioles.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't voted once yet.
    I do think it will be the Angels, which wouldn't kill me. I could live with that.
    Just saw an ESPN scroll that said, if I read it right, the Os are out.

I'm glad the Nats at least got in the game. It will be a few more years before they can be taken seriously but I'm happy they at least appear to be willing to spend.
    Lord would I love to see him in Washington. Original Nats.com report had the offer at 8/180. I wish they would do that. I think they'd get him for that.

11. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Orioles said they are out of the running for Teixeira unless he decides he really, really wants to play for them. The Orioles were basically scared off after the Nationals and Sox upped their offers.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Honestly Moddy? You'd be ok with them giving him $22.5 million a year?

Wouldn't that be better used filling all the holes the Nats have currently?

Draft saved Draft deleted