1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Shapiro to take over CNN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Nov 15, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be odd if the guy who did everything he could to rid ESPN of sports...ends up saving CNN by taking it in a sports direction?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-mark-shapiro-candidate-cnn-20121115,0,4384661.story?track=rss

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

"Cold Pizza will broaden the boundaries of the morning television genre." --Mark Shapiro

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Should be on his gravestone.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vince Doria just got a woody and doesn't know why

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

"America's Next Top Pundit" : Contestants vie through a series of competitions involving current events knowledge, prognostication of political developments and who can generate the most retweets to become CNN's next great pundit. Celebrity judges will include Dick Morris, Paula Deen and Courtney Kardashian.

"Make Me Angry:" John McCain hosts this weekly roundtable where journalists earn money for a charity of their choice by getting McCain to swear on live television. (Parental discretion advised)

"Constitution Avenue" (Reality) - Find out what happens when the cameras of CSPAN go off. Cameras follow the lives of 7 lawmakers picked to live in a house while they serve in the Senate and the House in Washington DC. We'll see what happens when an Alabama Republican finds out a Wisconsin Democrat has eaten his peanut butter. Things start gettin' real! (BN, AC, AL)

6. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

These programs would not be significantly worse than some of the junk on CNN at the moment.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Shapiro has already ruined ESPN and Six Flags, two of my favorite things growing up. I now expect him to also turn Justine Bateman into a junkie whore.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's interesting that two of the leading candidates, Shapiro and Zucker, are infamous for failing upward. I get the impression that those guys are at their best in the boardroom and convincing others that whatever they are doing is successful no matter the facts. Shapiro kicked ass with SportsCentury and Zucker did well with Today, but don't have a lot to show for their efforts since.

You wonder why CNN doesn't just snag Ailes top lieutenant. I've got to think there are a few people there waiting to move up. And then you grab Shepherd Smith and pay him whatever he wants.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Was hoping this was about Indians president Mark Shapiro, who can't get out of town fast enough, for me. He can take his sock puppet GM with him and the Dolans, too.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's been reported that CNN has met with producers of reality TV shows and asked them to come up with proposals. So, you might not be far off.

And, it's not like Anthony Bourdain's new show is going to he hard -- or even soft -- news.

Draft saved Draft deleted