1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Sanchez and a 17-year old girl?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't read Deadspin very much, but from what I have seen, this is the shit that drives me crazy. The best example I can think of is the day that he was going to bring down ESPN with all of his big salacious titillating scoops. He hyped it for like two straight days. Might as well have had a countdown in the corner of the screen.

The big bombshell: Two middle managers with zero name recognition left their prior spouses and got married to each other.

If I remember correctly, the whole thing was admittedly a revenge plot on his part for some real or imagined slight I can't even recall.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Gives new meaning to "Dirty Sanchez".

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

There are obviously sites just like Deadspin for politics. Gawker, the mothership, for one. Remember the exclusive they had on the guy who had a one-night stand with Christine O'Donnell? Wonkette's another big one.

Not to mention there are people who run sites whose sole purpose is basically to out closeted politicians. Plus the Enquirer, etc.

Don't worry, there are plenty of people keeping tabs on where politicians stick their dicks.

As for Kobe, he was actually 21 when he started dating Vanessa. I think she was still in high school when they got engaged.

In noncelebrity couples, my dad was 19 and mom 15 when they started dating and are still together 45 years later.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So that makes it less skeevy?

5. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I didn't know the age of consent was 17 in NY, where I live it's 18 and I figured it was 18 almost everywhere.

Bottom line is, the guy is an NFL quarterback, he can get almost any woman he wants. Why is he screwing around with a high school girl?

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Consensual or not, if you're a big star doing a 17 year old you get what you get. Guess what, a 17 year old isn't going to be discreet, she's not going to understand that she's costing you the cover of xbox, she just wants pics for facebook. No clue that she's two clicks away from espn trucks in the driveway.

Dumb and dumber.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

As Roethlisberger can attest to drunk college girls are where it's at, particularly if you have your own security to run interference for you.

8. LevinTBlack

LevinTBlack Member

As someone just a year or two older than Sanchez I don't see the big deal on this. Tell the difference between a 17-year old and a a girl 20-22 can be impossible. Most girls by 17 can pass easily for college age which is the age of Sanchez. Should he have asked for ID? Probably considering the status he has in society now but this isn't really news. If he was upper 20's or older it would be worth noting but they are five effing years apart. We're not talking about 17 to 12 or 15 to 10 but 22 to 17. Both are old enough to understand.

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

for starters, sanchez is 24. he's not college age. you sound just as naive as the 17-year-old and sanchez, for that matter, if this is true. she doesn't understand shit. neither does he. read or re-read 21's post.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Trying to justify your habit of "friending" teenagers on Facebook KY?

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

These days, it's "a story" if it will produce high ratings (or, in Deadspin's case, pageviews). For better or worse, if you come out with a story like this, people will pay attention. And the greater your ratings/pageviews/circulation, the more you can charge for advertising, and the more profits you can show to the corporate shareholders.

That's "news" for you these days. It's why Sarah Palin continues to pop up on the news every night with the latest thing she said or tweeted or posted on Facebook. It's why Lindsay Lohan is the lead story on Today. And it's why Fox News crushes CNN in the cable news ratings wars.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

This started changing when major corporations with diverse holdings began buying news media outlets (GE buying NBC, Disney buying ABC, etc.), or starting their own news media outlets (News Corp. starting Fox News). The shareholders of these major corporations often don't understand the particulars of each of the industries their investment dabbles in. But they do understand profits. And they demand that their news media holdings make as much money as possible as quickly as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted