1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Purdy hanging it up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, Jun 29, 2017.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

New York still has Mike Vaccaro at the Post. He produces well-written pulse of the fanbase columns several days a week. Never a hot take, and not coincidentally, he never screams at you from the radio, either.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Another one follows:

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Waiting to see what this is, and do they fill both spots?

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Kawakami is apparently going to The Athletic

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

... and I saw the other day that Art Spander got axed from the SF Examiner, while he was at Wimbledon. His tweet revealed the ouster and asked if anybody needed a columnist with experience and awards.

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I would bet Art Spander had to pay his own way to Wimbledon. The Examiner is not the old Examiner.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Is he covering for Newsday as well this year?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Art has summered in Europe for years - been freelancing for the last 15 or so, probably paid per article by the Ex.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I wish some suits on here would respond to Fredrick's concerns about "clicks." Newspapers and their parent companies have gone crazy over amount of clicks. But as I've pointed out in my threads about making $$$ and lazy advertising people, does this click-mania translate AT ALL to the person we're trying to hook? The businesses who used to take out ads? I still picture a sales person going to a car dealership and presenting the click information and the car dealer (or restaurant owner or grocery store owner) saying, "I do not understand what you are saying. All I know is we have our own Website and our own cards we provide customers that email them coupons and deals and we don't want to advertise in your newspaper. So please leave and never come back. These clicks you speak of and page views do not interest me."

10. AD

AD Active Member

boswell at the post: baseball-centric, but incredibly well-rounded -- golf, hockey, redskins -- and perfect for that market.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I can't speak for anyone other than where I work, but our top stories for readership online are always for recruiting. Our two lowest segments for clicks are columns and gamers.

12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the conversation you are envisioning has played out like this since the beginning of time:

SALESMAN: We can place your ad on our site for this price.

CAR DEALER: How many people will see it?

In print, the requested number is circulation.

With regards to the website, are you suggesting the salesman answer, "We have those numbers but you don't want to hear them?"

Draft saved Draft deleted