1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Prior no-hitter alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

There was the one a couple of years ago when six Astros pitchers held the Yankees hitless.

There was one in the 70s where three or four A's pitchers combined for a no-hitter. I remember that because I think that was in September and the A's pretty much had the division clinched. I think it was Paul Lindblad who finished that one.

Baltimore had a no-hitter where two pitchers combined for a no hitter but they gave up at least two runs and might have lost the game... there were some walks and errors involved.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Mets win 1-0.

Somebody tell Dusty it's time wake up time

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Some Pirates in the mid-90s??

4. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Four or five Orioles no-hit the A's about 15 years back.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

July 1, 1990: Yankees Andy Hawkins throws the season's 6th no-hitter, but still loses 4–0 to the White Sox. With two out in the bottom of the 8th, New York's Mike Blowers misplays Sosa's routine grounder for an error, and Hawkins walks two to load the bases. Outfielders Jim Leyritz and Jesse Barfield drop back-to-back fly balls to allow all four runs to score. Barfield loses Ivan Calderon's fly ball in the sun and the ball bounces off his mitt. Ken Johnson in 1964 was the last pitcher to lose a no-hitter

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Meanwhile, taking a quick look at Chicago's other team... What the hell has happened to Mark Buehrle?

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Kent Mercker! How could I forget? Buck, when are we going to get the answers?? ;D

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well ... this WAS coming an hour ago, you know ... so here here:

• 6/23/1917 -- Ruth, Babe (0); Shore, Ernie (9) -- Boston AL vs. Washington AL
    • 4/30/1967 -- Barber, Steve (8.2); Miller, Stu (0.1) -- Baltimore vs. Detroit (Tigers won 2-1, scoring twice in the ninth on 3 BB, 1 WP, 1 fielder's choice/throwing error)
    • 9/28/1975 -- Blue, Vida (5); Abbott, Glenn (1); Lindblad, Paul (1); Fingers, Rollie (2) -- Oakland vs. California
    • 7/28/1976 -- Odom, Blue Moon (5); Barrios, Francisco (4) -- Chicago AL vs. Oakland
    • 4/11/1990 -- Langston, Mark (7); Witt, Mike (2) -- California vs. Seattle
    • 7/13/1991 -- Milacki, Bob (6); Flanagan, Mike (1); Williamson, Mark (1); Olson, Gregg (1) -- Baltimore vs. Oakland
    • 9/11/1991 -- Mercker, Kent (6); Wohlers, Mark (2); Pena, Alejandro (1) -- Atlanta vs. San Diego
    • 7/12/1997 -- Cordova, Francisco (9); Rincon, Ricardo (1) -- Pittsburgh vs. Houston
    • 6/11/2003 -- Oswalt, Roy (2); Munro, Peter (2); Saarloos, Kirk (1); Lidge, Brad (2); Dotel, Octavio (1); Wagner, Billy (1) -- Houston vs. New York AL

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I love the poor guy who had to share his no hitter with Babe Ruth, who pitched zero innings. I am going to look, so I'll probably find the answer, but there has to be a story behind that one.

EDIT: Yup. Good one.

Babe Ruth starts for the Red Sox and walks the leadoff man, griping to plate umpire Brick Owens after each pitch. On ball 4, Ruth plants a right to the umpire's jaw and is ejected. Ernie Shore hastily relieves. The runner Ray Morgan is then caught stealing, and Shore retires all 26 men he faces in a 4–0 win, getting credit in the books for a perfect game. Ruth is not fined, but draws a 10-day suspension.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I was at the Big House In Flushing for today's game.

Here's one reason that the Cubs are 4,000 games behind the rest of the National League.

Runners on first (Carlos Beltran) and third (Jose Reyes), two outs and Carlos Delgado at bat. Scott Eyre threw over to first at least three times. Why in the name of Ryne Sandberg would the Cubs be concerned about Carlos Beltran at first base? The winning run was standing at third.

Much like the New York Islanders, the Cubs are hopeless. Hopeless.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

But for the record ...

Shore was later -- and properly -- credited with a combined no-hitter along with Ruth (not a perfect game) despite the fact that he faced 26 batters without any of them reaching base. You can't have a perfect game if someone reaches base, even if it's not off you. Sorry, Ernie. Helluvan effort, though.

Harvey Haddix doesn't get credit for a perfect game, either. Doesn't mean his wasn't the greatest pitching performance ever, because it was. But it still wasn't a perfect game.

Draft saved Draft deleted