1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Prior no-hitter alert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jul 26, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Except he got pulled with two outs in the sixth. He's thrown more than 100 pitches.

No-hitter still alive, tho.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Prior: 5 2/3 hitless
    Cubs' pen: 2/3 hitless

Well, their relievers kept it longer than I thought they would.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

As fast as Cedeno and Pierre are, I think one of them should have made that play. But they are Cubs.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And they're very good at it.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if the game ended with no hits, would papers play it as a no-hitter? Because it's not counted anymore.

6. Armchair_QB

They played it that way when the Astros did it to the Yankees a couple of years ago. Houston used something like four or five pitchers that night.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

the victimized team is no-hitted. but no one gets credit for pitching a no-no, right?

8. Armchair_QB

Correct.

The Cubs haven't thrown a no-hitter since 1972 and haven't been no-hit since Koufax did it in 1966.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The papers in Pittsburgh treated it like one when Francisco Cordova and Ricardo Rincon combined to no-hit the Astros in '97. I was in the stands for that one. Actually had a decent crowd because it was a fireworks night.

10. Armchair_QB

Not only is Prior not getting a chance to throw a no-hitter but they're going to lose the game too.

11. I believe the Post-Gazette headline was ASTRONAUGHT

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Right. It still goes down as a no-hitter, but no one pitcher can take credit for it.

There have been nine combined no-hitters in history. How many can y'all name (no cheating)?

I'll start you off with the first one: Babe Ruth and Ernie Shore, 6/23/1917 (I already looked this shit up, so I discount myself.)

Draft saved Draft deleted