1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark McGwire scoop coming + info & opinions (READ)!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Jan 4, 2007.

?

Do you think Mark McGwire should be in the Hall of Fame?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Yes, but not first ballot

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Maybe

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. No

30 vote(s)
    62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice

2. I read his posts and they are hard to read. I think his posts can be boiled down to this:

"American journalists are clueless about the real issues surrounding performance-enhancing drugs and athletes. I'm going to go on Youtube and try to educate journalists about this issue. I have trained top athletes and understand this issue on a far deeper level than what's being presented in the American media. It is unfair and simple minded to reduce the steroid debate to a yes-or-no answer."

My advice would be to tone down the attack on the media. Most members of the sports media are very sensitive and defensive.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

NO WE'RE NOT! STOP SAYING THAT! YOU'RE MEAN!

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

That post was phenominal.

Out.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I can see why he'd talk to Irvin. Heck, if any "journo" knows drugs....

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Donnie D's on the backup
    Drug-free, so put the crack up
    No need for speed, I'm the anti d-r-u-g-g-i-e"

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And yet very quick to attempt to enforce PC standards, accuse without proof, etc.

Maybe getting back to writing about sports, rather than PC stuff, and getting some proof before the accusations would cut down on the need to be defensive to subsequent attacks.

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

I'm sure Ms. Terry Taylor would love to know that you think she's a great guy.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Is orator another word for used-car salesman? I know that's not what he does for a living, but I think most of us can get the reference.

Most of us have had numerous phone calls from guys like this, guys who are pushing something, but not making it clear exactly what that something is. They tell us we are going to get a scoop, learn something important. They talk and talk and take up our time and more often than not, it never goes anywhere.

I grew up surrounded by salesmen. My father was on and so were two of my uncles. Hell, my brother IS a used-car salesmen. The thing is, they aren't always full of shit, but when you hear the schtick kick in, it is definitely best to keep the bullshit detector active.

Maybe this guy really does know his stuff. If I need someone to give me background, I'll go find somebody who actually sounds like they are worth trusting in addition to being qualified.

And please don't tell me McGwire came off badly because he choked. He didn't choke. He didn't panic. He refused to say anything. Period. And to call that incontrovertible proof of his guilt is unfair, but it damn sure added to the circumstantial evidence.

If you're not guilty, stand up and say so.

And not all of us love Jason Giambi, either. I have reminded people many times that Giambi never really came clean publicly. His grand jury testimony was leaked and then he called a press conference to apologize for doing something, but never said what he did.

But to say the criticism of McGwire is all a matter of journalists having it in for him because he didn't give us enough good stories when he played? That shows an ignorance of what we do and a disrespect for all of us. Maybe some of us don't know enough about supplements and performance enhancers. But how are we supposed to give this guy credit for knowing his thing when he won't give us credit for doing our jobs properly? Respect goes both ways.

Ok, now Mr. Expert will tell me I'm not worth talking to, Whitlock will say I'm being over-sensitive and everybody will think I am incapable of brevity. The last part is true, by the way, but hopefully I've given John "Integrity-is-My-Middle-Name" Villareal something to think about.

Of course, my last post was kinda long and went all over the place. Just like everything he has posted. :)

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Mr. Villareal,

How about cutting the coy self-promoting bullshit and just spit out what you know if your motivation really is some high-minded mission to educate journalists.

Most educations don't begin with a wordy campaign to come visit some nebulous youtube video, inform us, the unwashed masses, or catch hell because this smacks of a self-aggrandizing stunt.

YHS,
    Bubbler

11. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

(Imitating the voice from that guy in the jail cell in Trading Places):
    Yeah!

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Nicely put

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.