1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark McGwire scoop coming + info & opinions (READ)!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Jan 4, 2007.

?

Do you think Mark McGwire should be in the Hall of Fame?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Yes, but not first ballot

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Maybe

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. No

30 vote(s)
    62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Hey all,

Well - it seems that my little bro (also I believe known as Rokski one - but perhaps goes by another alias (can't follow all his postings) anyway he typically slams Scoop and loves Witlock if that clues you in) posts here and asked me to do something - or rather notify this board when I was going to do something.

Right, so some of you may know me and some likely don't. But suffice it to say when it comes to Mark McGwire I was in a position to know having trained him and been a close friend for about seven years, etc. A few of you I spoke with on background last year when this mess exploded to help give the facts and educate the public as to what really goes on in elite athletics.

Unfortunately, that did not seem to really work. In any event, Tim Brown (former LA Times) and the guys at AP were really fair and seemed pretty knowledgeable so I let Tim use my name.

Without belaboring the point I am a 3X national powerlifting champion and a trainer of many top pros and world class athletes among other things (lawyer, I-banker, etc.) and with all this Hall of Fame trashing of Mark and the recent ESPN article or should I say "EXPOSE" of him I thought it was time to say something because we all know Mark won't.

I will say that of course I have a bias, and yes I even have my interests I suppose (may come out with a book on elite drug free training) & a select few know the "larger plan/business model" that I can't get into here. So, sure take that into account.

However, anyone that knows me knows I don't lie & integrity is my middle name. I am not trying to get on a soap box or preach but that is just who I am. Moreover, in terms of evidence - trust me if I wanted to make money off of this or Mark's name I could have done many things LONG ago. Not my style nor my intent. In fact, Mark offered me many memorabilia over the years & I refused - since I was a friend and not a fan or there to take advantage of him.

On the other hand, he was one of my clients and I did train him and that is on my resume as it should be. Thus, as I explained to his people I have a right & duty to talk about this if he won't to relay my perspective and the truth as I know it. However, as I told Tim and others last year I never wanted this story to be about me - but rather to help Mark and set the record straight to the extent of my knowledge.

As I told Tim I have some big things coming up personally and he will get that scoop as I promised him.

Thus, I deliberately laid low to give some separation from the Mark story and my own - but again this trashing of Mark surrounding the HOF is just too much for me.

I mean let's be honest, Mark is not one to talk much and frankly he is out of his league on this stuff when it comes to testifying before Congress, etc.. Its just not his thing and people wanted an Oscar winning performance or Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Right, so I felt I needed to do something not just for Mark but for a lot of athletes as the witch hunt & "bloodlust" will continue. Don't get me wrong here by NO means do I think I can solve anything in this matter but perhaps can help contribute to get people asking the right questions and framing the debate so that we can get some SANITY back into the subject and perhaps meander towards some solutions.

Thus, I gave this some consideration & I don't want to go the normal route where my quotes can be taken out of context or wrangling with shows and producers over airtime & who would interview me or whatever. I have a fair amount of experience on-air doing my own shows on TV and radio so I know how it works & I don't want to deal with that on this issue.

Thus, I am going to do my own video discussion soon and post it on You Tube. It will be open to all and no one will be given preferential treatment. It will have some good scoops, insights, & strong opinion but it will only go to a certain "level".

I will not allow others to repost or embed this video if you want it you will have to talk to me first for permission.

Moreover, if some of you want to interview me for a real in-depth discussion done in an entertaining and compelling way - let's talk, but know that I am fairly savvy as to who is fair/cool and who is not so I will accept on a case-by-case basis.

The bottom line is, yes, I am a promoter (as is any good business person) but on this issue I am not looking to promote or get maximum coverage - rather I simply want to get the facts/truth out in a way that adds light as opposed to just heat. Moreover, I am able to make a very complex subject understandable to the average viewer/reader/listener.

So, if you are interested in the same we can talk.

Look, if you don't have an agenda other than delivering entertaining news that matters then everyone wins as we can help each other out. Conversely if you have already "staked a position" and are not open to new info or just want to "hang Mark" then just know I won't play your game.

So, that's up to you.

Thanks for the consideration and stay tuned - should be up within the week.

Thanks again,

John Villarreal

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can guarantee this will not end well.

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

John:

I think you'll find a lot of people here have staked out an opinion. It's called "Belief; don't need no stinkin' proof."

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If "Integrity" is your middle name, how can your middle initial possibly be "D." as it appears in the handle? Makes no sense.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

At least crazy indentions and spacing don't seem to run in the family. But you do both appear to have a gift for brevity, at least.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My favorite post of the relatively new day.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh for the love of God, my mind is racing to see where this bad boy is at about noon tomorrow.

John, after you get me a beer, DTGDTN!

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Maybe it's my ADHD, but I had a hard time following that post and don't have a clue as to what the fuck that guy is trying to say.

9. No, you don't need to up the Ritalin dosage. I couldn't really follow, either.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I quit about halfway through.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well put.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I couldn't make much sense out it, either, but I did like this part:

<b>"I mean let's be honest, Mark is not one to talk much and frankly he is out of his league on this stuff when it comes to testifying before Congress, etc.. Its just not his thing and people wanted an Oscar winning performance or Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.</b>

Let's see, they bring you in, place you under oath and ask you questions. Mark played in the major leagues and was asked questions every day for many years. He seemed to handle that OK. Of course, sometimes he would be rewarded with a certificate good at The Olive Garden. Maybe Congress should have done that. "It's just not my thing" would have worked better than "I'm not here to talk about the past."

So, remember, SportsJournalists.commers....if you're called to testify in a trial, just say it's not your thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.