1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Martin, Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 3, 2013.

1. The NASCAR Hall of Fame is still new and it's a long way off before he gets consideration .. but it's Monday. A slow Monday so what the hell. ...
    Is Mark Martin a Hall of Famer?
    He has 40 wins over a 32-year career and was named one of the sports 50 greatest drivers in 1998.
    He's a super nice guy and pretty popular.
    However,
    He has never won a championship. He was close in 1990, when he was docked 46 points and lost out Dale Sr. by 23 points. Five times he was second, but no title.
    He's only had five or more wins in a season three times. He's won at all but three or four tracks in his career... but never at Daytona. No 500.

Hall of Famer?
    I have no doubt he'll get in. But I don't think he's deserving.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Definitely a HOFer.

Maybe more on longevity than it should be, but he's going in eventually.

3. RonClements

RonClements Member

It's NASCAR, who cares?

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Yes, he's a Hall of Famer and deserving. I don't particularly care for Martin because he is one of the worst whiners I have ever met. He's not a first ballot guy. With the way NASCAR's hall is, it'll take some time for all the deserving drivers in because they'll have to wait in line behind the France family and all the other political selections.

Some people keep calling for them to open the flood gates. If you do that, pretty soon it will be a hall of pretty good. I do think they should have taken more than 5 each of the first couple of years and then scaled back.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think Marty Robbins belongs in the musicians wing

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think he's a no-doubter, because people think he's a good guy who does things the right way.

7. I think five is plenty. Three would be closer.
    Honestly, I don't think NASCAR has 50 HOFers at his point.

8. dooley_womack1

Starman just strangled his dog and doesn't know why.

9. Shoeless Joe

The fact that both Bill Frances went in the first year and not Pearson and Allison makes the whole thing laughable. Both Frances should be in by now, but not the first year. Of the people who are in thus far, I wouldn't have in Richie Evans, Jack Ingram, and Dale Jarrett.

Curtis Turner, Richard Childress, Rick Hendrick, Bruton Smith, T. Wayne Robertson and Raymond Parks among the nominees not in should be. If Anne France goes in before any of them there is no legitimacy to the hall. I'm sure she did plenty for the sport, but people didn't buy tickets to see what she did. Smokey Yunick and both John Holman and Ralph Moody should be in by now, but as far as I know they aren't even nominated. Bill Elliott should be in, but I guess he isn't eligible because he keeps turning up a few times a year. Because it's a hall of fame, Harry Gant and Neil Bonnett should both be at least nominated if not in by now.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's NASCAR, so it's not legitimate as a Hall of Fame even by the very lax standards of the other sports. It's a miracle it's not the Valvoline Goody's Hall of Fame. But Martin will eventually be a member.
    BTW, here's a sport that could use a well-heeled rival organization.

11. Shoeless Joe

I'd LOVE to see a rival organization pop up, and I've wanted Bruton to start one for about a dozen years. I'd like to see the sport go back to what made it great and back to the tracks that were great. Unfortunately, the money is too big and NASCAR's influence too great for it to ever happen.

12. dooley_womack1

Sorry, but no one's going back to North Wilkesboro.

Draft saved Draft deleted