1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Madden column for the ages...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Color me shocked.

2. Well, he writes like a ferret, doesn't he?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Column for the ages? Jesus. Please read some more. Half of the posters on this board could have dashed something off the top of their heads better than that in 20 minutes.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

That's my point...even by his low standards, it was trash.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh please, Markvid, are you related to Bob Smizik? You must be because it seems like you have a real hard-on to try and get Mark Madden, who is a shock jock and nothing more.

And this column is what it is and frankly he is right -- among the idiotic suspensions we've seen in PC America this is numero uno.

I mean, give me a fucking break -- a guy could punch someone on the ice, break his jaw and get less games -- if any -- than a guy who makes some juvenile remarks about his old girlfriends.

This country is becoming scary and it is because too many people are too quick to endorse censorship-like punishments handed out to those they think are jerks or disagree with politically or they don't like their style.

It is a very slippery slope when we start allowing and celebrating punishment of speech.

As for Madden, he is what he is, he's a shock jock who obviously gets good ratings and is popular. He's increased the ratings for his station in his time slot in a very short period of time and that's why they hired him.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sorry -- I'm usually pretty good at picking up sarcasm. Maybe I'm getting so old I need the blue font?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I got the sarcasm, but I have to disagree with you on this one. Not that I think it was anything spectacular, but I really do think that was better than most of the crap I've heard or read from Madden.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Very, very true.

That said, I cannot believe a fine regional paper like the Beaver County Times still gives Madden column inches.

9. zagoshe

93 -- At the rate that paper is downsizing and laying people off, what choice do they have but to go find someone to work for $50 a story in order to have some by-lines generated locally and not attached to the words "Associated Press"....

I mean, this paper used to be good - now it is a shit bag.

They used to staff Pirates games with one of the best baseball guys around -- John Parotto (sp?), they've recently annuonced they are scaling their Pirates coverage way back - to the point where he won't even really be a beat writer.

The Monday after Pitt's final home game, they gave their Pitt writer -- he covered all the home games -- his walking papers along with like 10 others in the news room.

It is, like so many others, a sinking ship, so yeah, given what its become they have no choice but to lay in bed with the Mark Madden's of this world -- a big name (at least locally) who might draw some attention to the paper and who is willing to do anything to have a column, including work for $50 a story.......

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with you about the suspension. It is stupid.

However, any argument/screed that is based around, "this country is becoming ..." is automatically dubious in my book.

Next comes it's cousin. The "we're a nation of pussies" argument/screed.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Zag, he was big enough a moron to compare Sean Avery to Rosa Parks.
    I rest my case.
    And he's done nothing to the ratings. NOTHING.

12. zagoshe

He's taken them from nothing to at least a blip on the radar -- that's something

Draft saved Draft deleted