1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark MacGwire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Could Bonds teach hitting? Or would it be: "Hit the ball, fool!" :)

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is my line of thinking too, I guess. McGwire studied the game and knew how to hit, but he focused on hitting home runs so much because he pretty much had to be that guy at his size, and it hurt his game a bit. And having players to teach who don't have his power probably makes it easier for them to implement his philosophies.

3. Riptide

McGwire knew how to look for pitches and work the count. Those are good starting points for anyone.

4. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

McGwire could have won batting titles if he wanted. He would have sacrificed some home run power but he had that ability.

5. Riptide

Sock Puppet Hall of Stupid right there.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't know if I'd go that far, but he was a better hitter than people give him credit for. Had a .263 career average (which was likely brought down by a couple of awful seasons in the early 1990s) and hit .274 or better six times, which isn't terrible for a power hitter.
    Considering the lowest average McGwire would've had to beat to win a batting title during his career was .329 (George Brett in 1990), however, it's a big stretch to say he could've been a consistent factor in that race on an annual basis. McGwire's best average ever was .312 in 1996 and he only played 130 games. He never hit .300 when he played a full season (150 or more games).

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

In his best years Mcgwier hit close to .300 and this was while trying to hit the ball out of the park on every swing. He could have had Pulols numbers if he wanted to.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I love you, Manky.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I can spell Roethlisburger or Grudzielanek but McGwire's name I have to look up.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Why I am starting to think Manky ran into Jetes' arms after he was rejected by McGwire? And how many variations have we had on the spelling of McGwire?

EDIT: Uncle.Ruckus beat me to it.

11. Riptide

Another fine job, Makny.

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

You're batting .500 on this one, Manyk.

Draft saved Draft deleted