1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark MacGwire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Would be nice if we had a thread for all the offseason baseball news... as opposed to just a random thread here and there.
    Yes, blue font; no, a hitting coach isn't worthy of his own.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God.
    Dammit.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sammy Soozer unavailable for comment.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Manky would have posted that, but he was afraid it would be removed because it was a discussion of politics off the politics thread.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Manky would have posted that, but he's camped outside Jeter's place in the offseason.

7. Mark McGwire should have stuck to posting here.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Only in the offseason?

9. turski7

turski7 Member

He doesn't speak English.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Serious question now. I know he has a track record with the Cardinals now, even after losing Pujols, but is McGwire really that a great a hitter to be able to teach young players? He was predominantly a home-run hitter, and he had a great knack for picking up the ball because of his hand-eye coordination. Bonds was a better pure hitter, but he had the same hand-eye coordination that I would think you can't teach. Some are crediting McGwire's success more to his approach and presence. Can't argue with the results, I guess.

11. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Banging Debbie Clemens keeps me pretty busy.

Abe Vigoda hangs out quite a bit, though.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You don't have to have been a great hitter to teach hitting. That doesn't mean everyone can teach it, but McGwire must have been one of those players who studied the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted