1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Halperin on Obama: I thought he was a dick yesterday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

That falls on the producer no doubt, but a media-savvy guy like Halpern should know better. Why couldnt' he just say the President was a jerk? Not as bad, some hand-wringing maybe, but you don't call the president a dick on national television.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Because sometimes that's what you get when you stress a less formal, more relaxed format. When it's just a bunch of people talking, sometimes people talk like people really talk. Sometimes it's easy to forget you're on a broadcast and not just shooting the shit at a table inside some bar.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I would imagine that being surrounded by cameras and crew and studio lights and being covered in makeup would make that pretty difficult to forget. But I've never been on TV, so I don't really know.

4. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I don't think that is clear at all. If he would have said this about Bush he would have been celebrated...probably given an 8 p.m. daily show.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Maybe Halperin should have just thrown a shoe at Obama.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Halperin
    Still bad judgment, but I think there is a difference between calling someone a dick vs saying he sounded like a dick.

Interesting discussion on MJ this morning on the complaints they are getting from The White House pertaining to their guest list. Feeling of White House is that MJ has been presenting an unbalanced, unfair story.

Being a pretty regular watcher, it seems to me that many of the guests have been liberal and have chosen not to use the Obama talking points.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Morning Joe" represents MSNBC's bending over backwards so far to prove "it's not really a liberal network" it ends up shoving its own head up its own collective ass.

However, I am sure the big boys up in the Comcast corporate tower just love dimwit Scarborough's snippy Hannitee-wannabee schtick.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

MJ shows that MSNBC can offer one show with some intellectual honesty.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Morning Joe" would be the equivalent if Faux Fascist Noise gave a morning show to Anthony Wiener and Janeane Garofalo "to prove it's not conservative."

Oh, and gave them approval rights over all guests appearing on any show on the network.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I do not believe for one second that Joe Scarborough has sole rights to approve any and all guests that appear on MSNBC. Sorry, just not realistic.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, 'cuz Mika is a real right winger.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

She makes it two people who think Jimmy Carter was a great president.

Draft saved Draft deleted