1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Halperin on Obama: I thought he was a dick yesterday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 30, 2011.

1. vicd

vicd Active Member

Perhaps. From my experience those anti-gay crusaders aren't really into women.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

How is that? He's her bitch, she ain't a guy. Translated: She owns him.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

They'll send his ass to the Katie Couric Sensitivity Seminar and in about three weeks, nobody will recognize him.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems pretty clear it was the language and not the sentiment that got him the timeout.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Interesting to note that the all-powerful Romenesko media blog hasn't weighed in on Halperin.

I watched the segment on the interwebs and it was beyond stupid. They should have told him to leave the set and not come back but Morning Joe will work it for all its worth.

You don't call the President a dick and Halperin seemed to know it when towards the end of the segment he referred to his now ended career. Harold Ford, who I used to like a little, tried to make a joke out of it. Saying he was really talking about Gephardt.

Worthless.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Obama Has Finally Become Dick Cheney
    By Conor Friedersdorf Jun 28 2011, 7:30 AM ET
    His administration wants to jail James Risen, a reporter who exposed Bush-era wrongdoing, if he doesn't reveal one of his sources

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/06/obama-has-finally-become-dick-cheney/241116/

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Frau Bachmann es ein geschlechtsorgan

8. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I watch Morning Joe every day when I get to work. I came in and turned on the TV right as they were having their big apology session. After looking at the clip, I think Joe Scarborough deserves a lot of flack in this situation. He totally threw him under the bus in that situation. He said he was "joking" but it wasn't like he made it totally obvious. Joe specifically told the guy they could dump out of it on the delay if the comments were too "bad."

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think he'll be back in a week or two.

Plus, a couple of things.

He offered a sincere and full apology for the statement. He owned it. Nothing wishy washy about it. No, "to anyone I may have offended."

But also, while he said it, if they're going to suspend anyone, Joe, Mika, and the guy working the delay button should be joining him.

They egg him on and tell him not to worry, they're on a seven second delay and will delete any offense word he might use.

So, he call Obama a dick (or says he was acting like a dick), they don't dump it, and now he's in trouble.

There's plenty of blame to go around.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Two thoughts:

1) Any adult who does the "can I say a naughty word? Can I? Dick!" routine is pathetic. To me it would be infinitely more acceptable to just call the man a dick and then apologize.

2) The 7 second delay is not nearly as prevalent as people think. I don't know if MSNBC does it.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just shows you that most times on TV you are not getting to true feelings of commentator.

I heard it live. Sounds like the new Morning Joe producer really screwed up on delay.

Halperin as ashen for rest of segment.

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yes. Yes. Yes. And yes.

Draft saved Draft deleted