1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Cuban vs. Nolan Ryan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

IIRC, Cuban was one of the original Reunion Rowdies in the 1980s and 1990s before he became a bazillionaire.

ETA: Can't find direct references to him attending games in the 1980s (though there's a passing reference in an SI article to him attending lots of games when he founded his first company in Dallas in 1983), but he became a Mavs season-ticket holder in 1993 and bought the team in 2000.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why fans wouldn't want him as an owner.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not sure, Smash. Cuban struck internet gold pretty young and he's from Pittsburgh, not Dallas.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Has he tried to purchase the Bucs?

5. outofplace

He said he wanted to and the cheap bastards who own the team insisted it is not for sale. They are doing too well pocketing all that revenue-sharing money, I guess.

I'm not sure how serious he was. He had to know they weren't selling.

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

He moved to Dallas in 1982 and started all of his major companies there.

I remember him being tied in passing to the Pirates (and Penguins during their search for ownership/Balsillie saga), but he's got deep ties to Dallas now as well.

ETA: Definitely a Mavericks fan since he owned the team, season-ticket holder since 1993 and attended many games in the 1980s. Two links:

""I've been a Mav fan since 1993. I used to buy tickets for almost nothing and move down into empty seats at Reunion Arena. Through the years, I kept upgrading and upgrading my seats. Now I own the club and I can have any seat I want. Why wouldn't I want to be right where I am to get the full fan experience?""

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3958944.html

And from a third-party, http://www.teamworkonline.com/panko.cfm

7. outofplace

Ok. Thanks for the info. I still can't see the guy half-assing it as an owner in any sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted