1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Cuban vs. Nolan Ryan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 4, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How'd the Rangers fare under GWB?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert, but I think it depends on how he comes across the information and whether or not the debt was publicly traded. But I don't think there's anything that implies that happened, is there?

3. printdust

printdust New Member

They got the stadium, and the pieces were put in place for the title runs. Remember, Bush sold the team just before they began their three-time West title run.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Other than moving them from old Arlington Stadium to the Ballpark and laying the foundation for the teams that won the franchise's only division titles, not very well.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

That's all I said he did.

But he was a much more likable owner with the fans.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If I were a Ranger fan (small mercies in life, I'm not), I'd be sad now. When it comes to owners "billionaire enterpreneur who's already made a sports franchise a financial success and a winner" sure trumps "had one hell of a fastball in his day."

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. The powers that be in MLB obviously don't want to let Cuban into their little club and baseball is poorer for it.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Someone should show Cuban's final number to the fucking Nuttings.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Armchair, I have to go with printdust on GWB. He was more likable as a part owner than Hicks ever was.

In the matter of MLB, the owners are the biggest bunch of pricks and good ol' boys in the history of mankind.

They never wanted Cuban to own any team in the MLB, the Cubs, and now Texas. The last thing they need is him harassing the hell out of Bud "Lunnegaard" and disrupting their little clique.

Gutless and selfish bastards.

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The thing about Cuban is he'd likely not be the same type of owner for another team (Cubs, Rangers or Stars, all of whom he's been linked to in the past) as he is for the Mavericks. He loses a shit-ton on the Mavericks each year because he's a fan first, owner second where they're concerned. But he's not a fan first of the other teams and would be buying them for business purposes - either in terms of creating his own sports network or as a long-term investment for later sale. He wouldn't be the same kind of owner for those teams and would likely care a lot more about the bottom line.

He's also an attention whore and hurts the Mavericks in the eyes of league officials, whether they'll admit it or not, and most of the people in Dallas are pretty sick of him by this point even if they like the Mavericks.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Smash, if I remember correctly, Cuban only became a Mavericks fan after he bought them. I would be surprised to see him take a different approach with any MLB team he bought.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, I agree with both of you on Bush as an owner.

And regarding Cuban, folks in Dallas were split on whether or not Cuban would be a good owner.

Draft saved Draft deleted