1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Cuban uses his blog to rant about a Leonard Shapiro blog entry.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Mar 20, 2008.

1. jps

jps Active Member

I see your point(s) ... and wasn't really trying to defend the guy entirely ... just seems that there are several out there that folks find any reason to jump all over and start telling the world just how badly said person sucks. Guess I'm just of the mind that I don't care all that much, so don't see making a huge deal over it all.

(Yeah, the errors do add up ... one isn't so bad but do see that there are multiple mistakes there -- my guess is that he just doesn't go back and read what he wrote. Not that this excuses anything ... but just a guess.)

2. One can be a fine gentleman and still have their head crammed up their rectum about any particular issue, such as Shapiro with MMA.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Shockey, Len's great, and a fellow Badger to boot.

He's a little behind the times in terms of where MMA has gotten to in the past few years. As somebody who has to deal with it more and more, I have to grudgingly say that.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

again, not saying whether len's take on the issue is right ot wrong. simply that he's allowed to have his take without a raving lunatic like cuban going apeshit on a blog over it.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, the point, though, I think, is that they're BOTH allowed. Right?

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

absolutely. i'll only defend one of 'em, is all i'm saying.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the funny thing is, though, one of them gets paid to have an opinion on the issue and the other is a fucking blogger!! excuse me if, at the end of the day, i respect the guy who makes his house payments because of his sports knowledge and rip the rich prick who happens to own an nba team.

any asshole can start a blog. doesn't mean i give two shits about what he has to say.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

well put, tp. well put. 8) :D 8)

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'd wear Cuban's contempt like a badge of honor. Ditto hate from the MMA crowd. No one has explained to me why you have to mix your martial arts. But hey, I'm a traditionalist who likes his martial arts (whether it's karate, judo or, more loosely, boxing) the old-fashioned way, undiluted.

YD&OHS, etc

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Martial arts mixed with high school wrestling and a bar fight. Sign me up!

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This description of MMA:

"You put two guys (usually heavily tattooed) in a ring enclosed by a cage, surrounded by a howling mob, and just watch the blood flow as they pummel themselves into submission, or occasionally break a bone or three. That's entertainment?"

Is actually not that far off the most rudimentary truth of what MMA looks like. Two guys, caged ring, howlin mob (which is what a crowd at a fighting sport sounds like; yes, including boxing) they pummel each other (not themselves) . . . etc. He just described boxing, except for the caged ring, of course.

The main reason Cuban's loud on this is because MMA is a money-making venture for him. I love how the headline for his blog, "This Guy Proves Anyone with a Keyboard can be Stupid," can also double as the title of Cuban's blog.

thisguyprovesanyonewithakeyboardcanbestupid.blogspot.com (EDIT: credit to Tom petty for that; I didn't read the whole thread before I posted)

Still, Shapiro's column is so much odious ranting. I have never understood why people can't live and let live when it comes to new, "fringe" sports and TV programming. The anti-MMA stuff is as bad as all the legenadry sports writers who can't handle soccer. Read something else. Change the frackin' channel.

Writing a column just to rip a sport you don't care about is bush league.

Draft saved Draft deleted