1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Cuban uses his blog to rant about a Leonard Shapiro blog entry.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hockeybeat, Mar 20, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Cuban was greatly displeased that Shapiro ripped CBS for airing MMA in prime time on the Washington Post's website, so the Mavs owner used his blog to craft juvenile insults.

Shapiro's entry: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/18/AR2008031801221.html

Cuban's response: http://www.blogmaverick.com/2008/03/18/this-guy-proves-anyone-with-a-keyboard-can-be-stupid/

I can see both sides of the argument. I'm not sure that the American public is ready for MMA on broadcast television. The Ultimate Fighter does well with the male 18-to-34 age group, but that's on Spike. That show draws a decent number, but is it because of the soap opera/reality show storyline or are the viewers truly impressed with the fighters' skill and strategy or both?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The entire premise of Shapiro's column is "I don't like MMA because ... I don't like it!" Weak. The column says absolutely nothing. The guy Googled MMA and channel-surfed past it on cable?

Moronic column.

3. Ignorant rants like Shapiro's used to be the norm. Thankfully, they've become few and far between.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

cuban proves that anyone with a keyboard can be an idiot blogger!!

i hope cuban realizes there's as many opinions as assholes out there. he's just another asshole.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

As evidenced by a typo early in his post:

The he shows his sexist side with " Oh yes, women will also fight it out on CBS, yet another revolting development."

He follows that up with "66mm" as reference to, I assume, 66 million and not 66 millimeters.

Right after that, he can't properly contract the words 'that' and 'is' and runs with "thats."

Stick to owning the Mavs.

6. jps

jps Active Member

I may be wrong, but I've had typos like that before. I oughta quit writing, I suppose.

Oh, and mm = million in financial shorthand, I believe.

Edit: To clarify ... if you want to pile on the guy because you don't like him, fine. But find something worth the time it took to rant, at least. Geesh.

7. Pete Incaviglia

So you're telling me as a paid, professional journalist you have three typos of that nature in one blog post/story? I make them, too. But, I don't make three in the first six paragraphs (and one more in the final paragraph).

That's not something I'd exactly admit to, sound proud of, or do often.

My point is — or points are — that he whines about journalists, then tries to be a journalist;hates bloggers, but is a blogger; bans bloggers and then blogs about bloggers. It's endless with this hypocrite.

He acts holier than thou, but is nothing but a whining, juvenile owner.

8. You know what?
    It's time for Mark Cuban to become just another rich fool I don't care about.

9. Pete Incaviglia

I have to agree, he's outlived his "quirkiness" and his "outlandish-owner-goes-crazy-on-the-sideline act."

Now he's just become a total douchebag.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

'Leanord'??

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

won't read anything on this. i know all i need to know by knowing len.

i challenge anyone to name a finer gentleman in this biz. the other guy in this duel? um, not so much.

12. Pete Incaviglia

I didn't even notice that! Unreal.

Draft saved Draft deleted