1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Cuban puts ESPN Dallas.com on notice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Oct 12, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Cuban from his blog:

"I only care about the coverage of the Dallas Mavericks. From ESPN Dallas, its non-existent. Its hard to offer any coverage when you dont actually have anyone at the games. Last two Mavs games. No local reporter. Maybe the ESPN Dallas standard of coverage is to have their reporters watch the game on TV. IN which case I guess I should be happy since most of the preseason games are on HDNet ... If we have just done something, trade, signing, whatever. Guess who gets the heads up email first ? The website with no one at our games, or the Newspaper/website with more than one reporter at our games?"

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yay for Mark Cuban!

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I hope he is so pissed that he buys the Pirates.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'll guess C) www.mavericks.com.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He's wrong. It's ESPNCowboys.com

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Ummm.... They're exhibition games. Call me when they start playing for real.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's a legit gripe, especially for home games. NFL preseason is far worse but media doesn't skip those.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mark Cuban sets them straight.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I suppose. But if the aim of these regional ESPN sites is to compete with the local paper over sports, they need to be there. If that's not the object, then fine.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

A beat reporter shouldn't cover exhibition games?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Didn't the thing just turn on the lights recently? Maybe they're not fully staffed or prepared to go and have to attend to the sports that are actually in season at the moment.

Now, if they don't have strong -- not just pulse-possessing -- coverage of the Mavericks once we hit November, then Cuban is right and they're not for real.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I bet ESPNDallas isn't all 82 in the regular season, either. And I bet the Morning News is.

Draft saved Draft deleted