1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Cuban: Google News is bad for newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bullwinkle, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

How come every time Mark Cuban speaks about newspapers, I find myself nodding in agreement?

Oh yeah, because more often than not, he's right.

http://blogmaverick.com/2010/02/03/why-google-is-bad-for-the-newspaper-business/

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Dear Google;

Please hire me.

Pete

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Cuban is right. What else is new?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Reality is bad for newspapers.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Publishers too often are bad for newspapers too.

6. Mizzougrad96

I'd love to see Cuban buy the Dallas Morning News and see what he could do with it.

I wouldn't bet against him.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I still haven't gotten over this one.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The best thing Cuban could do for newspapers is sign up for about 10,000 subs. Then, run the Kobe rape case on page 1 every day because it was, you know, good for business.

9. Mizzougrad96

One of the best owners in sports. I've dealt with him more than a few times and I was definitely impressed.

10. The problem with Cuban's argument is that for someone to use Google News as their only news source, they would have to search for things they know happened or anticipated happening. 99 percent of the papers in the world are safe in that someone wasn't expecting the Raliegh, N.C., police chief to resign so they won't search for it on Google News and it certainly won't make the cut on the page. Basically, for everything other than large, national stories, people will continue to find it easier to go to individual papers' sites.

That being said, I'm a regular reader of Cuban's blog and I'll say he's got a lot of good media ideas.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've said it before on here, and frankly, I'd love it if Mark Cuban read this site.

But, he strikes me as someone for whom I'd like to work.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Funny you type that. I once wrote an email (in a Word document) to Mark basically asking just that.

I never sent it.

Draft saved Draft deleted