1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Cuban: Bloggers are not allowed in my lockerroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So the Dallas Morning News can tell McMahon to "help" with the Mavericks notebooks each game and thus get around this rule. It is a silly and almost unenforceable rule

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't often say this, but I will this time: Good for fuckin' Mark Cuban. Post-game NBA locker rooms are crowded enough as is.

My only question is, what if you are a main beat writer who is also asked to blog? I'm assuming you would still be granted locker room access.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I have a sllly question, why does the DMN need five reporters at a game?

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

From this: "The Dallas Mavericks will not allow ANY writer into the locker room areas pre-game and post-game whose primary purpose is to blog no matter what affiliation. They may still represent their respective publication at games but will not be granted locker room access" it sounds like any beat writer who has to blog would still be granted access.

Is this for post-game only? Or is the locker room off-limits after practices, too?

If so, that'd be my only problem with it. Bloggers mostly seem to do updates and such, not gamers. The don't need the insight from players to do that.

I never understood why the "gloggers" from the metro needed locker room access, either - if that's all they were doing.

But if they do features and such, I'd argue that they should be allowed in for practices.

Cuban's policy sounds reasonable to me.

And yes, why does the DMN need five reporters for games?

5. badmoon

badmoon Member

I gotta say, my favorite line in this thread is the one about teams not having the time or whatever to sort out the dispensers of "legitimate citizen journalism" from the guy who creates a blog in five minutes on Google and applies for a press pass.
    Now, at the risk of being one of those old farts who doesn't get it, the term "legitimate citizen journalism" just makes me crack up. What if it were "legitimate citizen medical care" or "legitimate citizen air traffic control?"
    If you are an amateur, you are an amateur. I would predict that, in the future, bloggers will have to submit their business 1040s. Web hits don't do it, because you can create robot programs to visit your site a million times a day. (I am actually making that up, as far as I know, but it's probably true.)
    Make money at this, have a real following and, yes, you too can have the pleasure of having an NBA rookie tell you he doesn't talk before games. Be just another dude with a poorly-written smart ass web site and you can stay home and watch the game.
    Love that "legitimate citizen journalism" thing, though.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

badmoon, that was so fucking solid it's sick.

7. Soccer15211

Soccer15211 New Member

A large number of journalists got their paid start without having a college degree (or a college degree in something other than journalism). Spare us the medical and air traffic comparisons. Take a couple of writing classes, a media writing class and a media ethics class and BAM. You're now more "qualified" to be a writer than someone else?

Please. This isn't rocket science. Anyone can transpose a couple of quotes and intertwine them with 500 words and write a story.

"At the risk of being one of those old farts that don't get it"...you're not risking anything. Your post proves that you don't get it.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for weighing in, blogger.

you knew what the guy meant, he meant you should be a fucking professional before you're given credentials to a professional hoops game.

i don't know what the fuck you were trying to get at, but it was ignorant bullshit to say the least.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

how's life as a publisher going? Enjoy exploiting how "easy" it is to do this job whenever you want to make someone squirm for his job?

Why I bet you can find someone to do it! For free!

10. Soccer15211

Soccer15211 New Member

Yes, it is. I've done it. It sucks and doesn't pay well. I moved on. Plenty of other ways to write, report and not get paid like a Taco Bell employee.

With an avatar like Tom Petty, it's no wonder you agree with him. No, I don't know what the guy meant. There are a lot of shitty "professional writers"...take the local paper in a major city(s) in Ohio.

Just because you're paid by a traditional media market in no way makes you a more qualified writer than anyone else. In no way was I saying that the "OMG LOL, I got to meet LeBron James at the mall today" bloggers should be given access. It's not hard to discern the good blogs from the bad ones.

If you (journalists in general...not you specifically) want to keep writing the stories about how sabermetrics and statistical analysis of players have no place in baseball and how you're more qualified to analyze players because you watch a majority of the games in person (even though you're spending a majority of the game penning the story and not watching the game), that's fine, just don't cry about the fact that newspapers are a dying medium because papers are unwilling to adapt to changes in the way people are looking for information. I have no sympathy when I read the posts from people like badmoon. His post epitomizes the point I'm trying to make.

(edit....I know I'm not making any friends with this post. And this board is great to read....excellent discussions on most topics. It's just unbelievable that no one can ever have a rational dicussion whenever the topic of blogs is brought up. It's always RAAAHHHHRRRR....BLOGS BAD. NEWSPAPER REPORTERS ARE GOOD. WE MORE QUALIFIED THAN YOU. ANYONE THAT DEFENDS BLOGS IS AUTOMATICALLY CONSIDERED BLOGGER. I CAVEMAN UNWILLING TO ADAPT TO A CHANGING MEDIUM.)

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Blogs done by newspaper reporters and media people with actual training are good.

The BLOGS!!!! of ThebigLeadian variety suck and blow. And they always will.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was wondering what username Almost Famous would use in returning to the board. And we have found out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.