1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Brunell is all out of money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Nov 2, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Taylor had the good fortune to get screwed out of his money when he was only 25.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Kyle Korver, Magic Johnson and Keyshawn Johnson are the names that pop into mind when I think of athletes that are good with money.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Maybe he can box Jose Canseco. [/crossthread]

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Pacman Jones?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not to be an ass about the situation, but I have no pity for Brunnell. He's had more money in his career than I'll probably will see in my lifetime. I've struggled all of my life just to make a decent coin and this guy is playing a child's game makes millions and now he's crying because he's broke? It's called reality. Time to grow up.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

LOL at probably.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Hey Smasher, anything is possible. LOL

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If $$ were ass, Drip'd be a trillionaire.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You're probably citing a few high-profile stories about lottery winners going broke. Except if you're playing the lottery heavily and regularly, you already don't have a great hold on money matters. I think the vast majority of ordinary people, with half a mind for money management, would do just fine. They might not leave a fortune for their offspring, but they're not going to be begging for cash within a decade.

10. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

No one that invested with Bernie Madoff would have been lying about what they thought if they had told their friends about their great investment, either.

11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

On a more serious note, I don't think long-term treasury rates have been above 6% since the early 2000s, and you're not getting any safer than that. And banks aren't "risk-free"--deposits are only insured up to a certain amount (unless you're banking on a government bailout).

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He may be getting 6-7% return, but I doubt its 100% protected.

Draft saved Draft deleted