1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Brunell is all out of money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Nov 2, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, it's not like Brunell signed one deal for the rookie minimum, squandered it and ended up washing cars for money. Dude banked more than $50 mil and has less in the bank than me.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He would know the interest rates better than I would. But he might have something locked in long-term. It's hard to imagine someone getting 7% risk-free these days.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

"A fool and his money are lucky to get together in the first place." -- Gordon Gekko

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Unless my name is Richard Pryor, and I bought a fucking baseball team, there is not a way in hell I could piss away 50 million dollars.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The yin to Mark Brunell's yang, Jeff Foster of the Indiana Pacers, who has just about all of his money.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/jeff-foster-the-buffett-of-basketball-10202011.html

It helps, of course, that Foster comes from a comfortable background (not wealthy, but comfortable), learned about money growing up, and started saving relatively young because he didn't plan a career making millions in professional sports. (He was going to be a journalist, so he already knew he'd better not waste any pennies.)

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he has some agreement where he can't touch the main amount. Whatever he did, he did three years ago, so it wasn't like he locked in that percentage when the economy was good.

I think banks will give you a good rate if you promise to leave the money there.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I hope this doesn't start a big threadjack fight, but paradoxically enough, I have never known a group of people who were better at wasting money than journalists. Some of the dinner stories I've heard -- and not those on the company dime -- are eye-popping.

8. It's also not like he spent it all on sports cars.

Bankruptcy just means your debts outweigh your assets. You own a business that fails and you have to eat the long-term lease on an expensive property? There's a million in debt. You buy a high-end hotel for $20 million with 30 percent down, the economy crashes and now it's worth $10 million? Millions more in debt.

Not saying it's easy to do, but I know people who have experienced it on a smaller scale. In some of these business situations, your losses are almost unlimited which makes it easy to get over your head and makes bankruptcy the only way out.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The story about Foster begins with some guy trying to pitch him on a bed-and-breakfast in Pennsylvania. Foster turned him down. He didn't want to be a part of business ventures -- too risky. Yeah, Brunell isn't the athlete who spent all his money on hookers and blow, but, well, like the world banking system, he leveraged himself too much on real estate, and got caught when the market plummeted.

By the way, Brunell makes an appearance early on in that Foster story. So does Rocket Ismail and his calligraphy business.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He can also start receiving his NFL pension, which should be considerable due to his long length of service and not garnishable (I think, isn't that why they can't touch OJ's?), at 45 years of age,

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He still lives in Florida, and I don't think they can touch his house either.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I never would have guessed Fred Taylor was the more financially stable part of that backfield.

Draft saved Draft deleted