1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Brunell is all out of money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He also made seven-figures or damn close to it for almost 20 years. To have nothing to show for it is just criminal...

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Lotta these guys get into those limited partnership real estate deals and then get their asses handed to them. Doesn't take a recession to do it either, as you read similar stories in both good and bad times. I don't recall the typical details, but it's something on the order of the limited partner levers his or her initial investment, getting a $20M stake with only a couple million out of pocket. If the deal goes bad -- and these oftentimes are highly speculative plays -- the investor's on the hook for the whole $20M.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Why is it criminal? It was his money. He made mistakes. This is America.

4. Mizzougrad96

It's just a saying...

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I DO know that if all the money I ever needed the rest of my life landed in my lap, I wouldn't have gone through it all in the short number of years that he's been an NFLer. That is beyond idiocy.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yep.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/08/02/sports/pro-football-notebook-teams-seek-inquiry-into-religious-group.html?scp=1&sq=%22Champions%20for%20Christ%22&st=cse

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Don't know if it was the case for Brunell, but divorce can also be a killer to a pro athlete's bankroll. A lot of guys leave the game, and their trophy wives realize that either (a) they're really assholes who are not fun to have around all the time or (b) they're not excited about being married to a guy who used to be famous with lots of money coming in.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The TV station was only 17 months late on this story:
    http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2010-06-24/story/former-jaguar-mark-brunell-filing-chapter-11-bankruptcy

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wasn't sitting on my ass. No relatives were supporting me. I'd gone back to school, and I'd sent out hundreds of resumes and had a couple dozen interviews. Not exactly sitting on my ass.

I shouldn't be surprised, though. Obviously from the Wall Street thread, reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He should hit up Billy Joe Hobert for a loan.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's Jackstinkingville. It's timely.

12. Mizzougrad96

I'll say right now that Brunell will not have to spend a single day selling medical supplies.

Some college or pro team will grab him as an assistant in a heartbeat.

Draft saved Draft deleted