1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Brunell is all out of money

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Action News Jacksonville reports the current Jets backup and former Jaguars hero has managed to run through $50 million as an active player and will have to start a 9-to-5 job as soon as his NFL career is over.

And that will be soon. Brunell plans to retire from the Jets after this season and, because of his financial misfortunes, will have to become a regular working stiff. Bankruptcy filings show Brunell has a job lined up to work as a medical sales representative after he's done holding a clipboard in New York.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201111/nfl-quarterback-will-have-work-9-5-after-18-year-career

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's an issue I'll never face, but if I had $50 million, I'd focus on keeping as much of it as possible rather than trying to turn it into $100 million.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Perhaps he'll pay a call on JaMarcus Russell? [/crossthread]

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He invested in whataburger.

Nuff said.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This. I'll never understand how these guys don't just say "no" to investing in wild schemes.

And worse is when they end up supporting their entire families. I understand supporting your parents, or maybe a relative who has health issues. But you hear of these guys supporting siblings, cousins, friends, instead of telling them to get off their asses and get a job.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Johnny U and Brooks Robinson also went bust.

Stupidity with money goes across color barriers.

1/4 in savings
    1/4 in stocks
    1/4 in real estate
    1/4 in bonds

And partnerships and business ventures are for idiots if you already have millions.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It never ceases to amaze me how these guys don't just throw a couple million into an account where they could live off the interest for the rest of their lives...

Blow through the rest, do whatever, invest in whatever, but keep enough socked away so you can live off the interest for the rest of your life.

If Brunell isn't a coach somewhere before the 2012 season I'll be stunned.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Everyone acts amazed and swears they would never let it happen, but a high percentage of ordinary people who suddenly get large amounts of money go broke.

You don't know how you'd act until you get there.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I bet the church got at least $5 mil of that cash. He was the pre-Tebow.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Baron telling people to get off their asses and get a job, priceless.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

GOLD!

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I want to get there.
    No means No in my book.
    Another point is no one bothers to tell these guys that you won't be making$50 million for the rest of your life.
    To go from $30,000 to $0 is a fall. To from $50 million to $0 is a catastrophe.

Draft saved Draft deleted