1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Bradley: College basketball stinks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know which is better... I kind of like that college football is almost "one and done" like Boom said, but usually by the first week of December I'm completely disgusted that a computer is deciding who is playing for the title and I may watch very, very few of the bowl games. Before the BCS, I usually watched the majority of them. Some of that can be chalked up to getting older, but I would much rather have the bowl system that we had 30 years ago than what we have now...

With college basketball, it barely registers for me until conference play begins. I'll watch a few of the tournaments early on when there are some decent matchups, but then it falls back to the bigger programs lining up the cupcakes and that's when I lose interest.

By the time the Super Bowl is done, I'm all in with college hoops and I watch it religiously for the last two months of the season, basically the last month of conference play and the conference and NCAA Tournaments. At least with the NCAA Tournament, it usually leaves me with a better feeling than the bowl system does.

2. printit

printit Member

The over emphasis on the tournament, to me, is worse than the one and done. There is no reason to watch a game before March. It does not matter. Everyone worth a shit will make a tournament that is itself one and done. If you win 30 games and your conference championship and lose in the second round of the tournament you had a bad year. If you screw around all year and play good ball in March you are a great coach/team. Silly.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Let's see if I can name 10, honestly, without pulling names from Versatile's list that I didn't already know....

Zeller, Burke, Boynton, Muhammad, McDermott, Plumlee, the freshman center at Kentucky with the sweet fro, Quinn Cook, Peyton Siva, Shane Larkin, Otto Porter, Alex Lin (or Len). Oh, and Sherrod Wright.

That's 13. Sweet.

4. printit

printit Member

I liked when the bowls were mostly free agents, and were allowed to go out and get anyone they could get. (obviously the Rose and a few others were not.) Part of the fun of a bowl game was watching two teams play that had never played before and would probably never play again. Now that almost every bowl is tied to a specific conference (the 3rd place ACC vs the 5th place SEC), you just keep seeing similar match-ups and it takes the luster off.

5. Mizzougrad96

The other thing that drives me crazy about college football is that there is a month (and sometimes as much as six weeks) between the last game of the regular season or conference title game and the bowls that most people actually want to watch.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Duke beats UNC at Cameron. Woo-hoo!

Duke beats UNC at Chapel Hill. Woo-hoo! Wo-hoo!

Duke beats UNC at Greensboro. Woo-hoo! Woo-hoo! Wo-hoo! ACC champs, baby!

UNC beats Duke in Final Four.

Cannot for one second take a sport seriously where something like that is possible.

7. Mizzougrad96

I just remember the year Oklahoma played Penn State in the Orange Bowl (1985 I think...) where Jan. 1 was just about the best day of football ever. It was possible that the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar and Orange Bowl all had national implications... Entering the day, Iowa, Michigan, Miami, Oklahoma and Penn State all had a chance to win the title.

You can't have that anymore. It sucks. College football is so great, but the last month of the season is such shit that it ruins it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Florida State beats Florida. Woo hoo...

Florida wins a rematch for the national title...

LSU beats Alabama Woo hoo...

Alabama wins the rematch for the national title...

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Right, and it happens more often in pro sports. But if BTExpress wants to be a fanboi about it ...

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There will probably be 8-10 games on tv tonight and they will for the most part all look the same except different color uniforms. Defenses packed in, offenses gunning 3 pointers and coaches in expensive suites, poorly tied ties and $75 haircuts going side to side and jumping up and down like they are doing a plyometric drill.

11. printit

printit Member

I thought FSU/Florida was a tie that year.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

No baseball team ever loses a playoff series after winning the regular season series against the same opponent.

No NFL team ever loses a playoff game to a team it beat that season.

Etc.

Oh, and as far as naming really good players, this fanboy says you all forgot Victor Oladipo.

Draft saved Draft deleted