1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Andreessen: NYT Should Shut Down Print Edition "as soon as possible".

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Another well-meaning, smart outsider with a real dumb idea. Here's a plan. Let's dump 80-90 percent of current revenue for a bright new tomorrow that may never happen. If Facebook isn't making money off Internet advertising, how is the Times supposed to?

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

This is not going to happen anytime soon (and, by extension, the 600 or so clients who put Times stories in their print products from the NYT News Service). I put my copy down in public, and it's picked up by someone within a couple of minutes.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In 1998 Greg McLemore saw what was coming next: Pets.com.

Not all examples of success or failure in business are interchangeable.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Are they?

My notion of this is that you eliminate a lot of overheard by dumping the print product, then you aren't reliant on advertising for profit any more - it comes from subscription sales instead.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Printing and distribution removal does not save as much as lost print advertising revenue costs you. If you're all digital, subscription revenue is a wash, because of course people pay for one subscription in whatever medium you're using.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Times readers:

http://www.editorsweblog.org/2012/09/28/digital-is-now-first-and-print-second-for-most-loyal-readers-of-the-new-york-times

Still, 45 percent prefer print. That's a hell of a lot of readers.

Speaking of folks associated with Facebook and old institutions, there was an interesting story in NY Mag last week about Chris Hughes, the new owner of New Republic.

http://nymag.com/news/features/chris-hughes-2012-12/

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The money for a company like the Times has to come from subscriptions.

But, as others have pointed out, the Times is in a pretty unique position. They actually produce original reporting on a wide variety of topics.

It's worth buying. Not sure how many other papers are.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm sure I've said it here before, but there is a lot for newspapers to learn from Apple. People hated Apple in the early post-Napster world -- thought they were choking off the free flow of information purely to satisfy their own greed. But Apple stuck with it, and soon enough people saw that iTunes was a convenient and sensible pay-as-you-go business model.

But it takes some money to ride out the adjustment period, and it takes the guts to look like the bad guys pursuing copyright violations all over the world.

9. ringer

ringer Active Member

Who the hell is Mark Andreessen?

And what's his agenda?

10. He co-founded Netscape.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

?

Honestly?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

His main claim to fame was dumping that white elephant for billions, much as Cuban did with Broadcast.com

Draft saved Draft deleted