1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti's new home

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I guess it shows how little people care about Jay that no one posted this breaking news yesterday. Read the welcome letter. Classic.

http://mariottishow.com/

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

©2013 wwww.sportstalkflorida.com

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I thought these tweets from Tom Ziller were pretty telling:

@teamziller: Not to spoil secrets, but at FH basically all of Mariotti's traffic came from prime placement in the http://AOL.com firehouse.

@teamziller: No social traction, rarely any SEO news bump, not even hate links. Outside of that placement, he was totally irrelevant.

@teamziller: So, uh , good luck, Jay!

4. tmr

tmr Member

Yeah, this will be interesting to see if there's any traffic.

He only has about 1,800 Twitter followers for an account that's been around two years. Not that he posts a lot, but that's pretty telling.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That page is a template deal from a 1999 time shift, right? Jesus.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I will say this: Have never known Mariotti to be so complimentary of, so generous to, so many people in his opinions. If that's a sense of humbling, then good for him. If it's a way of sucking up, well, his true colors will bleed through soon enough.

I can't get too worked up about traffic and search-engine stuff when someone actually is talking about quality and the many conflict-of-interest issues rampant in the industry these days.

Used to be, operators of media outlets could turn profits and do what's right for coverage. Now, facing a choice, most opt for the former (though the former has morphed into "survive financially" more than "turn profits.")

I'm not picking up everything Jay is putting down in that open letter but just because he's the one stating some of these things doesn't make them wrong. In that way, it has a Jose Canseco feel to it, where for all his ills there is a line of truth to it.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hot sports takes from a bar in Venice Beach.

I can't wait.

8. tmr

tmr Member

Also, hot concert takes.

http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/a-musical-festival-drama-free/

9. poindexter

We'll get to see in real time the career death spiral of a man whose opinions nobody wants. Looking around the site right now, it was funny to read how many times he mentioned he was on Around the Horn - like that was actually a good thing!

10. poindexter

You’re seeing “franchise” sites pop up, such as Bill Simmons and “Grantland” at ESPN and Peter King’s “MMQB” at Sports Illustrated. Those are cool sites oozing of quality, but this will be more cutting-edge.

We'll be the judge of that.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Can you ooze OF something? You can reek of something, or you can ooze something, but oozing of quality is horrible.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

In this case, I believe it's fair to say he oozes a mixture of green tea and Axe Body Spray.

Draft saved Draft deleted