1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti's latest.... wow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Jun 25, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Give me one, just one, fucking example ... and you can't.

2. i don't have any underlings. i certainly don't have any co-workers i've spoken rudely to. anonymous message board idiots are another story.

3. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

How about a pink wooden bat? Talk about pussy.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You know, from the very beginning of this stupid, stupid, stupid non-story that only exists because of an ESPN culture, I've really only wondered one thing:

If Ozzie had referred to Jay as a cocksucker or a motherfucker, would he have had to apologize to sodomists or guys with Oedipal complexes?

Mariotti's success as a columnist is a wonderful example of how money corrodes values. This is a guy allowed a forum in a large newspaper because of his ability to generate loud-mouthed opinions that ESPN and talk radio covets. His work is not to be read, but spoken aloud while we sit in traffic. If he fears the ballpark, it's not because he's a tough critic, but an unreasonable buffoon who stays downwind of whatever wrriten fart he's just released into the world. Frankly, he should be afraid and shamed. He's the critic Teddy Roosevelt is talking about. He's a discredit to the industry.

And that's all a columnist needs to really write. Jay's a discredit. He makes his job and their jobs harder. You may enjoy his routine, but you don't trust it, and he renders his previous stance meaningless the very next week. And sincerity is what newspapers are built on. Consistency. TV isn't built on that, and neither is radio, as the body of work in those industries switches with the mood and tone of the day. But newspapers are meant to cut through that, be the stable partner, the senior man, the mature option. Jay, by embracing his ESPN personality, erodes his newspaper's best strength every other day he writes.

And no, his output is not impressive. It's merely reflective of his "gotta make news every day" persona. He has be talking all the time. He's another remarkably insecure, selfish man, however skilled, that has long ago tossed any sense of responsibility.  

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He doesn't post often, but damn if Alma's posts aren't worth reading.

6. ...and then there was the 6-foot-4-inch Lyle Mouton, who would routinely confront me in the clubhouse and point his giant finger a centimeter from my face.

"I'm not touching you," he'd say repeatedly, in a cold and menacing fashion. And he'd keep his finger there, despite my protests of "Stop it!" and "Mom!"

If it wasn't Warren Newson pantsing me -- when he wasn't forcing my underwear up places I didn't think it could go, that is -- it was Bill Simas giving me swirlies. And sometimes, they would pants me, then give me a swirly -- and when my head was out of the toilet, I'd find that my drawers were on the pitcher's mound, the gates had opened, and they were "all out of towels."

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mariotti is a complete Call Us Next Tuesday.

And also, a Tuesday Wednesday And Thursday type of guy.

:D :D

Mariotti's ESPN personality has got nothing to do with it. Mariotti's been pulling this shit his whole career, back to the days when ESPN was showing Australian rules football or tape-delayed dog racing to fill air time.

Mariotti has made his whole career out of spewing an endless golden geyser of piss on anybody and everybody he can aim his teenie weenie at. Now he's acting all offended when he gets splattered.

8. I'm glad this isn't lost on you. Seriously, this is a Chicago story like the Bonilla "I'll show you the Bronx" story was a New York story -- but since Mariotti is an ESPN squawking head, all of a sudden it's a national story.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Let's look at some of the parties involved here _ Marriotti, Guillen and Hawk Harrelson. Does anybody like any of these guys?

Oh, and get off Whitlock's ass. From what I can see, he's everywhere. As he should be.

10. Pocket Aces

Pocket Aces Guest

I rip Whitlock with the best of him, and I questioned him not being at Kauffman in over a year.

But dude doesn't write Royals columns. Period. Not from the locker room, not from the press box, not from the couch. So this is a bad battle to be picking.

That said, Whitlock has been at the K four days in a row now, doing interviews and clowining on subjects. More than we can say about Mariotti, who's proven to be a bitch.

11. don't defend or criticize me in this thread. stay on topic...

12. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Agreed. Stay on topic, please.

Draft saved Draft deleted