1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti's latest.... wow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

A better column would have been if he grew a couple and went to the White Sox game yesterday AND went into the locker room and talked to Ozzie. Alas, he was probably sitting at home in his pajamas.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Jackoff Jay is delusional. He suffers from a belief that somehow in a matchup between the loud-mouth columnist and the crazy-ass manager who brought that town its first World Series title since World War I, the loud-mouth columnist is going to win. Mariotti is napalming his bridges.....but just like Skip Bayless, some newspaper is going to think that his scorched earth style is going to draw in readers and hire him. I fear that ESPN will do it and foist Chicago's problem onto the rest of the country.

3. any column that doesn't begin with him inside the white sox clubhouse is indefensible. this column was bad from start to finish. period.

he now needs to write a series of columns from the white sox clubhouse. he needs to be there before and after the games. period.

again, i have no problem with jay personally. but i can't defend a columnist who compares himself to talk-radio hosts. i've worked as a talk-radio host. the standards are completely different. the guy is writing his own obituary as a newspaper columnist. he's throwing his credibility away one column at a time. his sports editor better step in or he could lose his job, too, in the process.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Not only is the column embarssingly bad, but someone needs to get Jay on medication because he's delusional. Millions offended? American pariah?!

Dude, you're a loudmouth sports columnist/TV guy. Most people who have any clue who you are don't like you. Get a grip.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

New White Sox security force receives final instructions before Jay Mariotti's return to the ballpark...

[​IMG]

6. markvid

markvid Guest

any column that doesn't begin with him inside the white sox clubhouse is indefensible.

Um, Jason? You told all of us this week you hadn't been to Kaufmann in almost a year.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Ozzie is playing this guy like Clarence Clemons played the sax solo in "Jungleland."
      He just provoked Mariotti into potential libel (I'd probably do the same thing if I were in Ozzie's shoes, minus the gay slurs). If he's claiming Ozzie did the simulated bugger, he better have some witnesses (be they players or other media types). Writing another column about this was probably the most stupid thing he could've done. If you become the story, back away from it a bit in your work - write about something else that day. If I were Mariotti, I'd have written about the Cubs yesterday.
      Chicago isn't big enough a town for both of these egos. As long as the White Sox keep winning, Ozzie's ego stays.

8. i would say you're not this stupid but i've read your previous posts and you are this stupid.

there are plenty of threads where i'd be glad to humor myself by pointing out your stupidity, but this thread ain't about me or anything kansas city related. take it to another thread and i'll come over there and clown you. this thread is actually about a serious subject (in my opinion).

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm asking a serious question!
    Did you or did you not say the other day that you'd not been to a Royals game in almost a year?

You ripped Jay for not being on site, but haven't you written columns about the Royals without going there?

10. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Jay should have been made to go to the clubhouse and do his his job in a professional manner so as to make Guillen be the bigger man or risk look like a neanderthal again.

Instead, he was allowed to extend a personal fued in exactly the same style that set off Ozzie in the first place: Pot shots from afar.

Gutless, and readers will see it that way.

Readers do not care whether Ozzie hurt Jay's widdle feewings.

This crap makes all of us look bad, IMO.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, I think I'll keep it up for the rest to read.
    Jason, I really think you need to take your ego and park it. I am not in the least defending anything Jay has done. And I wasn't trying to make it ABOUT YOU. If I remember correctly, as well, you hijacked the original thread about the KC situation and turned in into I'm making a tough decision as to skip the rest of the NBA Finals to race home and fix everything. You posted something, I thought it was a touch hypocritical, and asked, is that ok with you?
    I don't need to be called stupid and idiot. I am not one of your underlings.

Draft saved Draft deleted