1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti's latest.... wow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Embarrassing just to read.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Songbird--I weigh 115 pounds, about 5'6. Not built for physical confrontation with a professional athlete, and shouldn't have to worry about it. But if it happens, as it happens to many, there are ways to deal with it. Hiding isn't one of them.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's why I think he should stand toe to toe with Ozzie. He might need to have a few beers before going to the stadium, but jesus christ, I'd love to see a fight here. Sure, it's a bit old west, but a man sullies your honor, you bring a couple knuckle sandwiches to the conversation.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wow. Mariotti acts like a little bitch in that column. That was disgusting to read.

5. Stupid

Stupid Member

You fight with what you got then. Mariotti probably could have done a better job of using his words to carve up Ozzie, an admittedly easy target. But Blizzard of Oz? Come on, that's just embarrassing to read.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Whitlock nailed it, word for word, in the first post on the thread.

Mariotti should have called in sick, which would pretty much fit his gutless M.O.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Going in the clubhouse and dealing with players - no matter what the consequences might be - is part of the job. Marriotti is proving he can't handle that. What a gutless wonder.

8. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Mariotti's a spineles, worthless piece of garbage. And you don't hear that coming from me too often.

Waaaah!

[​IMG]

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agree with almost everyone so far -- Mariotti comes across as a whiny, little pussy.

However, let him keep churning out this bullshit. Hopefully, it gets him fired.

10. sportsed

sportsed Guest

This is a masters-level example of HOW NOT TO WRITE a column in this situation. I printede this out and put it in my top desk drawer right next to the Jamison's so I can refer to it if I ever geting into limelight-strength trouble with a coach or player.

"Again, if Guillen wants me to join his nightly OzFest charm sessions before games, he and Sox management will have to address and apologize for a history of threatening and unprofessional episodes."

He sounds like Costanza at the car dealership: All I want is an apology and for that man to be fired.

I very well may be wrong about this, but I haven't heard much of an outcry from the Chicagoland gay community about Ozzie's slur, either. Maybe it all comes down to people like Ozzie and don't like Mariotti.

"Let's hope Guillen isn't so pigheaded to blow off the classes. He wouldn't want to downgrade himself from circus act to American pariah."

Yeah, as if Ozzie's in George Bush territory if he blows off a sensitivity class for saying fag.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK, I've been behind the curve on this issue. What's the SportsJournalists.com party line? That Ozzie should not be going to sensitivity class? That Marriotti should STFU, and let others wage the battle? That "fag" is that bad, or isn't that bad? Spell it out for me; I really don't know.

(P.S. That was one whiny-bitch column.)

12. Stupid

Stupid Member

Well, my take is that Ozzie should know better than to say "fag" and that, really, a better word choice would have been "pussy," which seems to fit.

Draft saved Draft deleted