1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti's latest.... wow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Jun 25, 2006.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Strange, my Brit friend just told me it's tish-tosh.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Maybe there's regional variation? . . . I'll ask another of 'em, at a saloon, tonight, and report back.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, and as others have said, we should refrain from calling Mr. Mariotti various parts of the female anatomy. He wouldn't last a week if he were a female sports writer. Not nearly tough enough.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My vacation ended with this? THIS!?

Jay, why do you hate sportswriting?

God, imagine my horror when flipping through the channels in my hotel room on Monday and I see Jay "Keeping A Low Profile" Mariotti bitching on CNBC worse than my under 5-year-olds whine about an argument over their toys. I couldn't stand it, I fucking switched it to Son-In-Law for crissakes!

Go in the fucking locker room, you embarassing piece of self-absorbed crap. Anyone with half a shred of integrity goes and faces those they criticize. In my job, I'm in the occasionally uncomfortable position of being a being a beat writer and writing columns chiefly about my beat. I've criticzied those I cover and faced the music for it.

For the most part, even those you criticize come to respect you if you face them after the fact. When you hide in a cowering Tora Bora of your own making, they tend to think you have the balls of a gnat.

And has your ego careened so far off Lake Shore Drive that you think people actually give a shit about your personal slights?

This is instructional for all on SportsJournalists.com to hear regarding just about any media vs. media customer issue, so here goes: NONE OF OUR READERS/VIEWERS/LISTENERS GIVES TWO SHITS ABOUT OUR PROBLEMS! Apply that advice to just about every reader interaction you have.

And, Jay, that probably goes double for those who appear comfortable and catered to on TV. And that goes TRIPLE for butting heads with a World Series-winning manager in Chicago, daft and crude though he may very well be.

They don't like you because you're a loudmouth on TV, they resent you for it. There probably really are 1,000 people in Chicago who could go on ATH and bellow and howl with more conviction, intelligence, and insight that you or anyone else on that show or any like it.

You live down to every perception those not in the industry believe we are. You're almost as cartoonish as the reporters they portray in those dumb ass movies-of-the-week you see on Lifetime or something.

Michael Gee is right. There have been far better columnists that have been suspended or canned for far less than this silliness.

Quit the bullshit.

5. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Mariotti is not only a pussy, he's a liar.

When he was on Mike and Mike last week, he said the furor over the Ozzie comment "wasn't about me."

Give me a break, Jay. It was all about you, and your bitchy column just proved it.

I have no respect for this guy. He has no credibility and, worse, no gonads.

What a pussy.

6. That has to be the funniest thing I've ever read in a column.  I can't believe he actually wrote that.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Spell check.

Draft saved Draft deleted