1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti vs. the Sun-Times sports staff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Chi City 81, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It appears everyone hates Mariotti, even at the Sun-Times.

I think I would pay $100 to see the two columns by Telander that the S-T's gutless EIC spiked last week. I think it's absolute bullshit that Mariotti is allowed to call out those who cover the White Sox, but (very likely) whined and had two columns spiked because Telander fired back.
  2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Rick Telander is one of my favorite writers. If you guys haven't already, I suggest going out and buying a copy of Telanders Book: The Hundred Yard Lie.

It's a great look at the corruption of college football. Pre-BCS. It's a little dated but a great read for college fans.
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Writers criticizing other writers on his or her own staff is effing stupid. I'm pretty sure writers can do their job without bashing a co-worker. I'm almost positive it can be done. Can't it?
  4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I don't get what Mariotti had to gain by calling out his colleagues. How can that possibly end well?
  5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That was pretty bush league by Mariotti.
  6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He's made a career of it.
  7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I have yet to find anyone who likes him in any way. He constantly flip-flops and has the most overly-negative, kneejerk reactions to anything. His history of refusing to face the music with the people he criticizes is absolutely disgraceful.
  8. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

While I hardly ever read any of his writing, I see him on ESPN's Around The Horn all the time and he just makes snide remarks towards everyone on that show. Mariotti cannot face reality when he is wrong or someone shows him up.
  9. spnited

spnited Active Member

So it's OK for Mariotti to rip his colleagues but it's not OK for Telander to shoot back?
    Talk about fucked up management.
  10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Which is a shame, because there's some damned fine people who work there. But the entire company is 19 kinds of fucked up right now. Has the STNG been delisted on the NYSE yet? I heard it was about to be.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I often wonder why he still works at the S-T at all; is it so he can still be introduced on Around The Horn as being from the paper? I'm not being completely snarky, either. I've seen him in press rooms at a couple of major events when he was working solely as a writer and he looked like he wanted to be a million miles away.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Some of us would probably chip in to see these pieces, Doc. I sense that Telander probably was a little more even-handed, but for some unknown reason, someone has Mariotti's back in the office. Given what we perceive to be Mariotti's lower-than-a-snake's-a_s outlook on everything in life, what does the Sun-Times gain by spiking Telander?
Draft saved Draft deleted